Manager, Purchasing Services
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Manager, Purchasing Services
Hiring #: 2021-0669
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The University of Guelph, highly ranked for providing comprehensive education and world-class research, is seeking a new Manager, Purchasing Services responsible for the effective implementation of the University’s central purchasing policies and processes in direct support of the University's educational, teaching, research and administrative programs. Reporting to the Director, Procurement Operations, the Manager of Purchasing is expected to be a proactive “hands on” manager who can provide both the skills to deliver on the implementation of major procurement contracts and projects and oversee the high volume, deadline driven delivery of a range of procurement activities performed by a staff of 8 in the Purchasing Services department.
Key operational responsibilities include:
- Directing and coordinating the staff and other resources of Purchasing Services
- Ensuring that the University is compliant with Broader Public Sector (BPS) directives as they apply to University procurement activities. This will require both detailed knowledge of BPS directives and guidelines and the ability to balance these requirements with the operational requirements and expectations of internal clients and requisitioners.
- Ensuring the effective, efficient and timely preparation of purchase requisitions and contracts in accordance with University policies and where applicable, with those of external agencies and stakeholders.
- Developing effective information sources from a variety of relevant transaction sources including core campus business systems (Oracle Procurement, FRS) and vendor data bases, as required and available.
- Analyzing information by identifying the component parts of data relevant to procurement decision making and performance measures
- Communicating with vendors, the public, government, and other external sources and representing the University in a professional manner in all matters.
- Communicating with internal faculty, staff or colleagues in a professional manner providing information, training or advice in all matters pertaining to the processing of requisitions, service contracts or other procurement arrangements.
- Continuously monitoring processes, workflows and departmental resource allocations to detect and assess problems.
The successful applicant will possess:
- An undergraduate degree combined with a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in procurement, strategic sourcing, commodity management and contracting in a large complex business environment.
- Strong leadership and management skills, including demonstrated supervisory experience
- Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation or equivalent
- A strategic and critical thinker, with ability to exercise sound judgement, analyze and interpret data and present information in a clear, concise and professional manner
- Strong interpersonal skills in the areas of verbal and written communications, customer focus, professionalism, negotiating, coaching, and team building.
- Sound knowledge of advanced purchasing and business management concepts, including tendering, supplier negotiations, contract administration and project management
- High level of proficiency using software such as Microsoft Office and experience with a computerized procurement system
Position Number 020-016
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 01 05
Closing Date: 2022 02 02 (extended)