Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Dean’s Office, College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hiring #: 2022-0249
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences is one of seven faculties at the University of Guelph and houses five Schools and Departments (Computer Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics) with more than 150 tenure-track or tenured faculty members, more than 80 staff, and nearly 4,000 graduate and undergraduate students; several major research centers and institutes, and advanced research infrastructure. It is involved in several high-profile external partnerships, with annual research funding in excess of $20 million per year.
Reporting to the Marketing and Communications Manager and the Associate Dean, Academic, the Recruitment Officer acts as the ‘Public Face’ and lead for undergraduate recruitment in CEPS Bachelor of Computing and Bachelor of Science programs. The main focus of the Recruitment Officer is to recruit and retain undergraduate students in the programs offered by the School of Computer Science; and support recruitment efforts in the Departments of Chemistry, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics, as well as for professional master’s programs. It is expected that this role will work closely with key personnel in SoCS, physical sciences, the College and across the University to ensure the CEPS meets its enrollment targets as set out by the University’s strategic enrollment plan and the College’s strategic goals.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing, executing, and measuring the success of recruitment strategies to meet the objectives of CEPS’s enrollment targets and strategic plans, and that help build the reputation of CEPS programming at U of G.
- Developing marketing/recruiting activities throughout the various stages of the recruitment funnel to increase applications and acceptances from high-quality students and meet enrollment goals.
- Developing and delivering presentations for tours, open houses, discipline specific off-campus events that highlight the competitive advantage of CEPS programs.
- Conducting hands-on recruitment experiences either on-campus such as tours or on-location such as high school visits to promote computer science and/or physical sciences programs at U of G.
- Work with Admissions to lead CEPS’s representation at University events (i.e. Ontario University Fair, Fall Preview Day, Science and Engineering Sunday, Campus Day, Interaction Conference, and Spring Academic Open House).
- Responding to student and/or support person inquiries (e-mail, telephone, as well as other social media)
- Training volunteers for events, soliciting recruitment event participation, and developing a network of current students to act as tour guides and ambassadors.
- Advising community as to best practices and key messaging for recruitment.
- Participating and helping to organize events to highlight programs in CEPS (i.e. Science Olympics, Go Code Girl, Fall Preview Day).
- Working with CEPS marketing communications team to align strategies and ensure cohesion.
- Representing the College on University-wide and College-wide committees and advisor groups related to recruitment and admissions.
Requirements of the position include:
- An undergraduate degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) or in marketing and/or communications plus a minimum of 2 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. An undergraduate degree in STEM plus post graduate training related to marketing and communications will be preferred;
- Experience developing, executing, and evaluating recruitment strategies with strong understanding of the enrolment management funnel;
- Professional experience using digital media to support recruitment objectives;
- Strong written and oral communications skills;
- Experience organizing and leading events, including volunteer management;
- Proven ability to collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data;
- Graphic design and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite considered an asset;
- A proven track record of producing results in high pressure situations and under tight timelines;
- Demonstrated relationship management skills and the ability to foster teamwork and collaboration; the ability to act professionally and ethically;
- The capacity to solve problems with sound judgment;
- Strong organizational and planning skills; and a high degree of initiative and independence.
- Possess a valid Province of Ontario Class G driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle. Overnight travel may be required for recruitment events.
Position Number 253-031
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 06 22
Closing Date: 2022 07 06