Registered Veterinary Technician, Large Animal and Neonatal Foal Wards
Forbes Ranks U of G Among Canada's Top Employers
Registered Veterinary Technician
(Large Animal and Neonatal Foal Wards)
Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre
(Less than 24 hours a week)
Please apply by emailing email@example.com (referencing RVT – Large Animal and Neonatal Foal Wards) and sending your:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Patient Care and Service Delivery and under the direction of a clinician, the RVT participates as a member of the healthcare team of the Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre.
This position will be primarily assigned to the Large Animal Ward and Neonatal Foal Ward but may be required to support other units in times of operational needs. The OVC HSC has a varied patient base, thus RVTs may be assisting activities relating to both companion and large animals.
Under the direction/supervision of a clinician, the key areas of responsibility include:
- Assist in building client caseload through the delivery of outstanding client service
- Coordinate patient care and communicate effectively with service areas regarding patient’s status, care procedures and location in hospital
- Maintain accurate and complete medical records ensuring patient/client confidentiality
- Observe and evaluate the health status of patients, administer prescribed drugs/therapeutic treatments, collect samples, perform diagnostic testing and assist with patient restraint
- Prepare patients for surgery (including clipping and prepping surgical site using aseptic technique) and set up surgical suites with specialized equipment and instruments according to safety protocols
- Assist clinicians with surgical procedures; monitor patient for changes in body functions and vital signs
- Provide technical support and functional guidance to veterinary students, graduate students, clinicians (faculty and veterinarians) and staff
Interested candidates must meet the following requirements:
- 2 year College Diploma
- Successful completion of an accredited Veterinary Technician program recognized by the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians (OAVT)
- Full member in good standing with the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians (OAVT)
- Successful completion of the Veterinary Technician Examination (VTNE) and the OAVT mandatory ethics exam. OAVT registration is required
- One year prior experience working as an RVT
- The incumbent must have experience with and be competent in the handling and restraint of large animals and in performing a wide range of treatment procedures and techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency in customer service: excellent communication and organizational skills particularly with respect to dealing with clients; ability to mentor students and contribute to a collaborative team environment and effective organizational skills.
- Familiarity with common computer software including Hospital Management Information System software is preferred
- Flexibility in scheduling availability is required. The incumbent will be required to work a variety of shifts including on call, evenings, weekends and holidays.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of rabies titre.
Hourly Rate $27.45 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.