Research Assistant/Technician III
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Grant & Trust Administrative & Technical
Research Assistant/Technician III
College of Arts
Hiring #: 2022-0799
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The International Institute for Critical Studies in Improvisation (IICSI) is a partnered research institute, funded through a SSHRC Partnership Grant, that investigates how improvisation can improve life. IICSI’s mandate is to create positive social change through innovative scholarship, impactful arts events, and community-oriented activities.
IICSI is seeking a qualified individual to join our team as Research Assistant/Technician III with a focus in communications. The incumbent will play a key role in supporting IICSI’s mission, vision, and day-today-operations. This position is responsible for assisting in carrying out and promoting the work of the Institute, with a particular focus on its home project site at the University of Guelph.
While this position is primarily responsible for promoting the work of IICSI, it is important that the incumbent remain adaptable and ready to take on miscellaneous administrative tasks as they arise.
Duties of the position include the following:
- Promoting Institute events and activities through IICSI’s social media accounts, the IICSI website, and other channels as appropriate
- Conducting advertising campaigns around significant events and projects (e.g. IICSI’s annual IF Improvisation Festival): crafting press releases; contacting media outlets; working with new and established community partners, researchers, and institutions to secure promotion through their channels; purchasing and overseeing advertisements online and through print media outlets; creating/editing photo and video content
- Crafting prose and providing copyediting and proofreading support for various documents, including grant applications, grant reporting documents, forms, and key Institute emails
- Preparing, proofreading, and sending out ImprovNotes, IICSI’s monthly newsletter
- Documenting and archiving IICSI materials for the Institute’s research library (e.g. taking photographs and video recordings at IICSI events; editing recordings of online events; documenting student projects)
- Supporting the successful execution of IICSI events and activities (including those related to the Critical Studies in Improvisation program at the University of Guelph and those taking place at ImprovLab, IICSI’s state-of-the-art research space and venue at the University of Guelph) through in-person and digital communications
- Attending regular staff meetings, events, and other key meetings
Requirements of this position include the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and some experience in communications, event planning or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to write clear, clean copy in English, adopting various voices or tailoring to genre or audience needs
- Time-management skills
- Good judgement with respect to composing, editing, and posting prose or digital content in online spaces
- Knowledge of website back-ends and social media platforms
- Ability to prioritize tasks by order of importance or need
- Organizational skills
- Collaborative skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Event planning skills
Nice to have but not required:
- Knowledge of French or any other language
- Knowledge of Improvisation
- Knowledge of university structures and funding bodies (government, council, foundation)
The incumbent will be expected to be on campus 4-5 days per week (Monday to Friday), 7 hours per day, during regular business hours, working 35 hours per week, with the understanding that there may be some non-traditional hours for one-off events and projects.
Classification Grant/ Trust fund position, Band C
GTAT (Grant & Trust Administrative and Technical) Salary Grid
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 11 14
Closing Date: 2022 11 28