Research Associate 1
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Grant & Trust Professional
Research Associate 1
Ontario Veterinary College
Temporary full-time from February 2020 to November 2021
Hiring #: 2020-0027
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Khokhar Lab researches the interactions between substance use and serious mental illness, with an eye toward treatment of these disorders using a variety of behavioural and circuit-interrogation methods.
The Research Associate will conduct behavioural experiments assessing the effects of cannabinoids in a variety of animal models of addiction (e.g., withdrawal and self-administration/free-access intake) and serious mental illness (e.g., prepulse inhibition, latent inhibition). The research associate will also provide input with respect to appropriate methodology, procedures, equipment and standards to produce required research data and apply specialized knowledge and principles to review, appraise and interpret published literature, summarize research findings, and draft scientific/technical reports, manuscripts, grant proposals while establishing and maintaining effective relationships with external partners, which may include coordinating of project plans, presenting research findings (may include presenting findings at conferences).
Requirements of the position include:
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline, with some related research experience (behavioural methods outlined above) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with the behavioural paradigms listed above
- Proven ability in methodology, procedures, equipment and standards to produce required research data
- Proficiency in summarizing research findings, reviewing, appraising and interpreting published literature
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively within a team environment
- Experience with in vivo electrophysiology an asset.
Classification Grant/ Trust fund position, P02
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 01 13
Closing Date: 2020 02 10