Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
Position covered by the Collective Agreement with USW Local 4120
Student Financial Services, Office of Registrarial Services
Temporary full-time from November 18, 2019 to March 31, 2020
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2019-0558
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Manager, Student Awards & Financial Aid, the Service Assistant is responsible for all aspects of front line customer service as it applies to Student Financial Services (SFS). This is a critical position as it is the first point of contact with the student body in addressing all financial matters as they relate to students and their studies. Services are provided to undergraduate and graduate students, Guelph-Humber students, parents, staff, faculty and external stakeholders. The contact with clients will be in person, by telephone and electronic correspondences. The dealings are often complex, sensitive, confidential, and action-oriented requiring demonstrated tact and diplomacy.
The incumbent is required to be knowledgeable and have a full understanding of a host of policies, procedures, processes, deadlines and consequences that include, but are not limited to the following areas: student accounts, OSAP, other government aid programs, work study, and scholarships and awards. The incumbent is also responsible for variety of data entry functions, including, but not limited to: supporting documents, program cost codes, OSAP confirmation of enrolment forms, continuation of interest free status, and processing adjustments on the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities (MTCU) on-line system to ensure appropriate financial aid is issued to students. Decisions made by the Service Assistant impact students’ finances, educational goals, and student retention.
Requirements of the position include:
- One (1) year Community College diploma (preference given to an undergraduate degree) with one year of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of Colleague, the student information system, WebAdvisor, MTCU’s AS400 and One-key with a preference given to applicants who have experience using these applications.
- Knowledge of University of Guelph’s academic policies and procedures, financial aid policies and procedures with preference given to applicants who have experience with student account and government aid policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with difficult situations, maintain a high level of confidentiality, sound judgement, and dependability
- Detailed oriented with demonstrated problem-solving skills and initiative
- Highly organized with excellent time management and proven stress management skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment with constant interruptions.
- Strong computer competency using the Microsoft Office Suite
Covering Position Number 443-015
Classification USW, Local 4120 Salary Band 4
Normal Hiring Range $23.13 - $25.85 per hour
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 10 07
Closing Date: 2019 10 15