Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies
Animal Biosciences, OAC
Hiring #: 2019-0512
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The University of Guelph is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.
The Department of Animal Biosciences (ABSc) is a well-established unit in the Ontario Agricultural College with a faculty complement of 30, approximately 170 graduate students and 50 staff. Approximately 4,200 undergraduate students are taught annually over the fall and winter semesters. ABSc research and teaching activities are ever more dependent on managing and working with large amounts of data. Our local computational infrastructure provides access to high performance storage and computational systems.
Reporting to the Chair of the department and the CCS Manager, Systems Management, the Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies is responsible for the design, configuration, management, daily operations, security and performance of the department’s information technology infrastructure and computational systems. The position ensures effective ongoing delivery of IT resources in support of departmental-critical processes, and act as a support person and advisor to faculty, staff, researchers, and students on matters relating to hardware, software and general computational matters. The Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies will stay current with technological developments related to hardware, software and networking.
S/he provides support for these complex systems and interconnected technologies that require day-to-day attention in order to maintain optimal performance and utilization. With the help of the IT support technician working under his/her supervision, s/he configures and manages our Linux systems, troubleshoots problems, maintains integrity and configures hardware components to improve reliability, performance and data security. To support research activities s/he also provides the department with a local multi-user environment for storing, manipulating, and analyzing data with complex software packages. These systems are also used to develop and maintain research databases, genetic evaluation systems, web applications, and custom software methods as required. The Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies is expected to provide both software and hardware customized solutions for various problems where mathematical thinking and the ability to represent, organize and manipulate medium-large data sets with different formats is required.
We are looking for a uniquely talented, high-energy individual who is very personable, and technically competent in all aspects of information technology and information processing. The ideal candidate will be able to manage our platforms, while looking for ways to improve our applications, systems, and networks in a cost-effective way to meet future needs. The person will have a passion for supporting research and services by determining the goals of the IT group and contributing to the continuity of existing and novel computer services and infrastructure by providing necessary technical leadership and project coordination.
- Master’s Degree – or higher- in Computer Engineering/Computer Science/Information Systems or equivalent combination of education and related experience,
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of Linux systems administration. Strong knowledge of statistical software (SAS, R, etc.), database software (SQL), web applications (e.g. Drupal), and other research software (e.g. Python, C++, FORTRAN, PERL, etc.); Cisco network configuration and management,
- 5-10 years’ experience providing Unix/Linux systems administration support for large-scale complex computing systems,
- 5-10 years’ experience with computational and statistical methods applied to biosciences,
- Strong programming experience and experience with backup methods,
- Good working knowledge of MS Windows 10 and Mac OS X,
- Agricultural background and interest in animal science,
- Good working knowledge of video conferencing and presentation management,
- Advanced knowledge of developing web applications (HTML5, PHP, Apache, SSL, etc.),
- Some experience in handling purchase orders, contract requisitions, etc.,
- Excellent judgement, strong analytical and problem-solving skills,
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills,
- Ability to multi-task and troubleshoot,
- Proven leadership skills, ability to motivate and coach people,
- Strong organizational and attention to details skills.
Position Number 108-091
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 12 04
Closing Date: 2020 01 22