Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies
Department of Animal Biosciences, OAC
Hiring #: 2020-0406
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Department of Animal Biosciences (ABSc) is a well-established unit in the Ontario Agricultural College with a faculty complement of 30, approximately 170 graduate students and 50 staff. Approximately 4,200 undergraduate students are taught annually over the fall and winter semesters. ABSc research and teaching activities are ever more dependent on managing and working with large amounts of data. Our local computational infrastructure provides access to high performance storage and computational systems and includes a local multi-user environment for storing, manipulating, and analyzing data with complex software packages. These systems are also used to develop and maintain research databases, genetic evaluation systems, web applications, and custom software methods as required.
Reporting to the Chair of the department and the CCS Manager, Systems Management, the Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies has dual responsibilities related to IT and research.
The IT-related responsibilities include the design, configuration, management, daily operations, security and performance of the department’s information technology infrastructure and computational systems. The position ensures effective ongoing delivery of IT resources in support of departmental-critical processes, and act as a support person and advisor to faculty, staff, researchers, and students on matters relating to hardware, software and general computational matters. The Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies will stay current with technological developments related to hardware, software and networking, and will provide support for these complex systems and interconnected technologies that require day-to-day attention in order to maintain optimal performance and utilization. With the help of the supervised IT Support Technician, the Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies will configure and manage our Linux systems, troubleshoot problems, maintain integrity and configure hardware components to improve reliability, performance and data security.
The research-related responsibilities include Perl, R and SQL programming tasks related to maintaining and extending existing computational pipelines or creating new ones. The Sr. Analyst, Systems, Data and Research Technologies is expected to provide and develop software and hardware customized solutions for various problems where mathematical thinking and the ability to represent, organize and manipulate medium-large data sets with different formats is required.
We are looking for a uniquely talented, high-energy individual who is very personable, and technically competent in all aspects of information technology, computer programming and information processing. The ideal candidate will be able to manage our platforms, while looking for ways to maintain and improve our applications, systems, and networks in a cost-effective way to meet future needs. The person will have a passion for being directly involved and supporting research and services by determining the goals of the IT group and contributing to the continuity of existing and novel computer services, software and infrastructure and providing necessary technical leadership and project coordination.
Must have requirements of the position include:
- Master’s Degree or higher in Computer Engineering/Computer Science/Information Systems and at least five (5) years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Significant experience providing Unix/Linux systems administration support for medium- or large-scale complex computing systems
- Strong provable programming experience (e.g. Perl, Python, C/C++, FORTRAN etc.)
- Significant experience with computational and statistical methods applied to biosciences (SAS, R, etc.)
- Significant experience in database development (SQL, MySQL, MariaDB, etc.)
- Excellent judgement and demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proven leadership skills and ability to motivate and coach people
Knowledge and/or experience with the following would be considered an asset:
- Good working knowledge of MS Windows 10 and Mac OS X
- Cisco network configuration and management
- Strong experience with backup methods
- Agricultural background and interest in animal science
- Good working knowledge of video conferencing and presentation management
- Some experience in handling purchase orders, contract requisitions, etc.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations
Position Number 108-091
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 12 09
Closing Date: 2021 01 25