Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D)
Temporary full-time from October 1, 2021 to September 30, 2023
Hiring #: 2021-0502
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
This position of Stewardship Officer is an opportunity to join a high-performing team of passionate professionals at the University of Guelph, one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research-intensive universities.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) advances the mission of the University of Guelph by raising private support and building relationships with a broad range of stakeholders ranging from alumni and friends to corporations and foundations. As a member of the AA&D team, the Stewardship Officer epitomizes the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
Working with the Associate Director, Stewardship and Donor Relations, the Stewardship Officer will work collaboratively with the Major Gift Fundraising team and Annual Giving team and be responsible for developing and executing a strategic stewardship program for donors under $500,000, with the goal to encourage donor retention and ultimately, increase revenue.
Approximately 20 per cent of the Stewardship Officer’s time will be focused on annual giving stewardship ($1 - $25K); and 80 per cent will be focused on major gift stewardship below ($25K - $500K).
The Stewardship Officer will conduct an analysis of the existing stewardship journey, to determine where the opportunities are to create more impact. Following this, the stewardship officer will develop an annual stewardship program of stewardship deliverables and/or communications based around annual initiatives such as National Philanthropy Day, Giving Tuesday, holidays etc. that will be turnkey for the fundraisers to execute with their donors.
The incumbent will help to develop mass communications for donors. As part of developing an annual stewardship program, the stewardship officer is responsible for creating and executing impact reports around highest priority fundraising and areas of giving that have a critical mass of donor support.
In collaboration with the Annual Giving team, this position will also focus on class project stewardship and assist with procuring content for annual giving stewardship initiatives.
Requirements of the position include:
- Undergraduate degree and two to three (2-3) years related experience in previous donor relations, journalism or public relations management, with evidence of increasing responsibilities and project management/supervision or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Superior communication (written and verbal), knowledge transfer and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to interact effectively with peers, managers and faculty.
- Camera, video production skills and / or graphic design experience would be an asset.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising in large and complex fundraising projects especially major, multi-year capital campaigns, with specific experience in donor stewardship
- Ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office applications and fundraising databases
- Proven management experience, including budget planning and analysis
- Excellent demonstrated analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 09 27
Closing Date: 2021 10 20 (extended)