Veterinary Pharmacy Manager
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Veterinary Pharmacy Manager
Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre,
University of Guelph
Regular Full-time (Permanent)
Hiring #: 2020-0312
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Ontario Veterinary College (OVC), recently ranked first in Canada, seventh worldwide and fourth in North America for veterinary science by Quacquarelli Symonds is seeking an experienced Veterinary Pharmacist to lead pharmacy operations for the OVC Health Science Centre (HSC). As a referral teaching hospital, the OVC HSC strives to provide the best possible service to over 16,000 companion animals, equine, farm animal and exotic species each year. A unique opportunity to support world renowned veterinary clinicians, university researchers as well as highly specialized staff and talented students. The Veterinary Pharmacy Manager, in collaboration with a team of skilled pharmacy technicians, creates innovative solutions to meet and exceed service delivery expectations. The OVC HSC Hospitals are accredited by the College of Veterinarians (CVO) and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and is regulated by the CVO as well as federal laws concerning Narcotics and Controlled Substances and pharmaceuticals.
The successful candidate is responsible to:
- Develop risk mitigation strategies while ensuring veterinary pharmacy operations comply with federal and provincial pharmacy and veterinary laws and regulations and OVC standards
- Provide veterinary drug information to faculty, veterinarians, hospital staff, students, clients, referring veterinarians and researchers
- Provide expertise on pharmaceuticals used in veterinary medicine including off label use of human pharmaceutical and veterinary specific pharmaceuticals.
- Provide expertise on administration of medications to veterinary patients of all species.
- Participate with other members of the health care team in assessment and pharmaceutical treatment of individual patients
- Provide oversight and compounding of sterile, non-sterile and hazardous drugs
- Develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures for pharmacy operations which afford quality assurance and continuous quality improvement
- Provide orientation and training on hospital policies and procedures regarding medication to interns, residents and staff
- Recruit, develop and motivate a team of skilled veterinary pharmacy staff
Education, Skills, Work Experience and other Requirements:
- Minimum education required is B.Sc. Pharm; PharmD is preferred
- At least three years of relevant experience, including the completion of a hospital pharmacy residency or equivalent hospital experience plus at least two (2) years of experience in a veterinary hospital; and one (1) year management/supervisory experience (demonstrating human and financial resources/leadership skills); Pharmacist license is not required
- Excellence in communication (written, verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Software (e.g. Word, Excel, Power point)
- Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills as well as customer service focused skills
- Demonstrated leadership/supervisory abilities
- Knowledge of the specialized functions of a veterinary hospital pharmacy including knowledge of off label use of human pharmaceuticals, veterinary specific pharmaceuticals, dosing variations between veterinary species
Position Number 623-076
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
Salary: $90,000 - $100,000
Vacation: 15 days per year
Benefits: Group benefit plan (extended health, dental care, LTD and Life Insurance) plus pension plan.
Location of Work: 28 College Ave West, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
Location of Employer: 50 Stone Rd, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
Language of Work: English
All Canadian citizens or permanent residents who qualify are invited to apply by sending their Cover Letter/CV (including list of publications demonstrating relevant experience) quoting hiring number 2020-0312 by email to careers@uoguelph or by mail to the following address: 50 Stone Rd E, Guelph ON N1G 2W1 (Attention: Human Resources.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 11 02
Closing Date: Until Filled