Safe Travel Resources for Faculty and Staff

When travelling as part of your University duties it's important to remember that safe travel practices are as applicable to faculty and staff as to students. You are not exempt from local laws, crime and political unrest just because you are affiliated with higher education. Every year, university personnel from Canada end up needing assistance abroad due to injury, illness, civil unrest or other difficulties. Being prepared for these risks before you go can help ensure that your trip is safe and successful. 

Travel Health Insurance

Travel Health Insurance is an important component of your travel preparations, whether you're travelling for work or pleasure. Read the fine print, some companies will not cover you if you are engaged in high-risk activities, or travelling to destinations with a travel warning or advisory.

Before you leave:

  • Check your current travel health insurance coverage on SunLife Financial's website and print a copy of your Travel Card for emergencies.
  • Contact OHIP to have your provincial coverage extended if you will be out of the country for more than 212 days.

Register with the Canadian Government 

The Registry of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) is a free service offered by Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada that keeps you connected to Canada in case of an emergency abroad, such as an earthquake or civil unrest, or an emergency at home. Whether you're planning a vacation or living abroad, sign up in a few minutes or less.

Note that this service is intended for Canadian citizens but a similar service may be available for faculty and staff who do not have citizenship. Check the website of the equivalent of the Foreign Affairs Department of your home country. 

Ensure your Destination is Safe

Check with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development to determine if there are any travel warnings or advisories for your destination. Remember that travelling to a destination with a travel warning is unadvisable and may mean that your travel health insurance is null and void.

Safe Travel Tips

Visit the Centre for International Programs' Safe Travel page for information on:

  • DepartSmart, the online pre-departure orientation (required students but can be used by faculty and staff as well)
  • Health and Safety
  • Cross-Cultural Living

Stay in Touch

Always ensure that someone in your department and/or a family member has a copy of your itinerary. Prearrange to Check-in at regular intervals so that someone will know if you have gone missing.