Questions related to Prospective Student FAQ


I have a family member who is not a U of Guelph student but would also like to improve his or her language skills. Where can I find help?

The St. George's Centre in downtown Guelph provides free English-language programs for Canadian citizens, permanent residents, convention refugees, and refugee claimants. Temporary residents and visitors can also attend for a small fee. Use the St. George's Centre website link for more information.

University of Guelph: The Centre for Open Learning and Educational Support offers the English Language Certificate Program for individuals interested in entering the University of Guelph undergraduate or graduate programs to gain English Proficiency or improve their English Language skills. Visit, English Language Programs website for more details

How do I get a visa to study in Canada or renew my current student visa.

Actually, in Canada we call it a "study permit" not a student visa. Details on getting or renewing a study permit can be found on the International Student Experience website.

How do international students apply for graduate school (Masters and PhD)?

The Graduate Studies Office provides information on how to apply to Guelph to become a graduate student (Masters or PhD). You must have completed a first degree (bachelors degree) before you can apply to be a graduate student.

I want to be a Veterinarian, can I apply if I'm not Canadian?

 Yes, there are a certain number of spaces reserved for non-Canadian applicants to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program each year. Visit the OVC Recruitment website for more information.

I'm thinking of applying to Guelph and I'd like to know what exchange programs I'd be able to go on if I were a Guelph student.

 Exchange? Great. We have programs for every discipline Guelph offers and we are adding programs all the time. Check out the Centre for International Programs searchable database to find out what your options are.