Academic Status | Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics

Academic Status

A student's academic status is based on their academic performance. The continuation of study requirements in the Undergraduate Calendar outlines these requirements in detail. Students can be either eligible to continue, on probation or required to withdraw based on their grades. Students who are on probation are strongly urged to consult with a B.Comm Program Counsellor prior to choosing courses. 

Required to withdraw

You have been required to withdraw. Now what?

As a University of Guelph student, you are expected to maintain a minimum cumulative average of 60%. If you do not, you are placed on Academic Probation. If your grades do not improve in a subsequent semester (a minimum semester average of 60%), then you are Required to Withdraw. Remember that although achieving final grades in the 50’s may be considered a pass, it is minimally acceptable for university level studies. To demonstrate an adequate grasp of the subject material, the University of Guelph (like most universities) requires that you attain a minimum cumulative average of 60%. For additional information relating to being Required to Withdraw please refer to the UAIC quick fact sheet, Required to Withdraw.

Before embarking on the options outlined below, it is important that you reflect on why you were unable to achieve the required average. You must ask yourself; am I making my studies a priority? If I am struggling with course material, do I ask for help? Am I working too many hours a week? Do I have commitments outside of school (family, extra curricular) that are taking up too much time? Do I procrastinate? Do I like my major/program? Is my health interfering with my ability to study? If you answered yes to any of these questions, please contact our office for referrals to on-campus support services. It is important that you answer these questions before you begin the readmission process.

You have two options:

  1. Begin your two semester (eight month) rustication period and follow the requirements for Readmission, or
  2. Appeal the decision by making a Request for Academic Consideration as outlined below.


Readmission into the B.Comm program is a two-step process:

Step 1 All students who have been Required to Withdraw must demonstrate to the B.Comm Admission Committee that they have made substantial changes to their study habits and priorities and are now committed to being successful with their studies. Therefore, prior to being considered for readmission, you must achieve a minimum grade of 70% in each of two appropriate University of Guelph Open Learning courses. Remember, both courses must have a minimum grade of 70%. An average of 70% on the two courses is not acceptable.

If you have been previously Required to Withdraw and were subsequently readmitted to the B.Comm program please note: if you are Required to Withdraw for a second time you will not be considered for readmission to the B.Comm program.

Some important points regarding upgrading via Open Learning courses;

  • If you do not achieve the required 70% in one or both courses, it is possible to complete additional courses. You must however satisfy the readmission requirements in no more than four course attempts (2.0 credits). If you have more than 2.0 credit attempts you will not be considered for readmission to the B.Comm program, regardless of your performance in these courses. Note: an ‘attempted’ course is a course where there is a final grade. Course drops approved by Open Learning prior to their course drop deadline are not considered attempts.
  • You have the option to complete these courses either consecutively or concurrently. We recommend that you take these courses consecutively as it allows greater time for you to perform well in each course.
  • The B.Comm Admission committee does not specify which courses you must take to qualify. You may choose courses required of your major, restricted electives, Liberal Education Electives or free electives. You cannot however re-take courses that you have previously passed. It is recommended that you take courses that correspond to your level of academic ability, i.e., avoid taking courses where you lack the appropriate academic background or have struggled significantly in the past. You may contact our Office for advice on selecting appropriate courses.
  • To view a list of available courses visit Search Course Offerings via Open Learning and select ‘Advanced Search Options’. Under Course Category select ‘Degree Credit’; select the desired Term and for ‘Instruction Method’ select ‘Online’. Finally, under ‘Filter By Course Availability’ select ‘Search all courses’ and click ‘Search’. Select the course(s) you wish to take and then select ‘Add to Cart. Remember that you must register for these courses directly through Open Learning and Educational Support as you no longer have access to select courses via WebAdvisor. Should you need assistance with the registration process, please contact Jade Sachdeva, Open Learning Program Counsellor, Open Learning and Educational Support, Johnston Hall Room 142,, (519) 824-4120 x52149. Remember that you must register for these courses by the deadlines specified by Open Learning and Educational Support as they do not accept late registrations.

Step 2 You must submit the online Application for Readmission through Admission Services. Your application must be submitted by the appropriate deadline;

  • Winter Semester--November 1
  • Summer Semester--March 1
  • Fall semester--May 1

*It is critical that you submit your application by these deadlines, even if your Open Learning courses are still in progress.

You are not required to apply to your previous B.Comm major. If you wish to apply to a different B.Comm major, you may do so, provided you meet the mathematics requirements for the new major. The exception is Sport and Event Management; if you are interested in this major, contact our office for details.

As part of the readmission process, you will be asked to include a letter explaining how you plan to meet your academic obligations should you be readmitted. You will submit this letter via the on-line application. If you have questions about the application or re-admission procedure, please contact Admission Services at or (519) 824-4120 ext. 58721.

If you are readmitted to the B.Comm program, please note the following;

  • You are eligible to receive transfer credit up to a maximum of two courses (1.00 credits) for courses taken during your 2 semester Rustication period towards your Guelph degree. As these courses are transfer credits, the final grade for these courses will not be included in your GPA. It is for this reason that we do not recommend students take more than two courses during the Rustication period if they have achieved the required 70% or higher required in each of two courses.
  • When you return to your studies, you will be on probation and will be required to obtain a minimum 60% semester average in your first and subsequent semesters as per the Continuation of Study Regulations. If you are required to withdraw for a second time, you will not be considered for readmission to the B.Comm program.
  • You will follow the degree requirements of the Academic Calendar in place at the time you were readmitted.

*Note, the information above is applicable only to students who have been Required to Withdraw from the B.Comm program and are seeking readmission to B.Comm. For all other students please contact Admission Services for details.


If you wish to appeal being Required to Withdraw, book an appointment with a Program Counsellor as soon as possible after you have received your notification. Our office will review the process, criteria, and supporting documentation required to submit an appeal.

If after meeting with a Program Counsellor you decide to submit an appeal, your request will be reviewed by the B.Comm Academic Review Committee. Note: the granting of an appeal is not automatic nor guaranteed; the Committee requires students to present grounds of sufficiently extenuating circumstances, supported by appropriate documentation, for a request to be considered.

If you do not have grounds for an appeal, or if your appeal was denied, you would then begin your two-semester rustication period and the re-admission process, as outlined above.

Note: if you are required to withdraw after the Winter semester, the Summer semester counts as one of your two semesters.