Minors and Certificates
Adding a Minor
If you are interested in adding a minor, please note the requirements listed below.
1) You are permitted to double-count (or share) a maximum of 50% of the required courses between your major and minor. Minors are 5.0 credits so the maximum number of credits that can be double-counted is 2.50. If the number of double-counted required courses between the major and minor exceeds 50%, you cannot add the minor. The courses from your major that apply to the double-counting requirement are your required and restricted elective (if applicable) courses. Liberal Education and Free electives are not considered in the double-counting requirement and can be used towards your minor.
2) If you are following the 15/16 (or earlier) Calendar, you must switch your major to the 2016/17 or later calendar as minors were only approved beginning with the 16/17 Calendar. Note that your major and minor must be the same calendar year. For most B.Comm majors, the 2016/17 and later Schedule of Studies is similar to previous years, but there have been some revisions. It is therefore important for you to discuss these changes with a Program Counsellor before taking courses.
Given the requirements outlined above, the following major/minor combinations are not possible:
- B.Comm students cannot complete the Business, or Business Economics Minors (these are new minors under the 2016/17 calendar--the current Business Administration Minor is being replaced by the new Business Economics Minor).
- Marketing Management students cannot complete the Marketing Minor. It may be possible for B.Comm students in other majors to complete the Marketing Minor; check with a Program Counsellor to determine eligibility.
- Management Economics & Finance and Public Management students cannot complete the Economics Minor. It may be possible for Food & Agricultural Business and Real Estate and Housing Students to complete the Economics Minor--please contact professor Eveline Adomait (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3) Some major and minor combinations may require you to complete more than 20 credits to graduate, given the number of required courses for most B.Comm majors. Depending on the timing of course offerings, you may also need to complete additional semester(s) to satisfy the requirements of your minor.
4) As most minors require courses be completed in sequence, the sooner you declare a minor the better. Familiarize yourself with prerequisites and the timing of course offerings. Any questions should be directed to the Faculty Advisor for the minor.
5) Should a required course for your major be scheduled in the same time-slot as a required course for your minor, we strongly suggest that you give preference to the course required for your major. Failure to complete your major courses when specified in your schedule of studies may extend the length of time required to complete your degree.
6) It is possible to add a minor to your degree after you graduate. Please contact our office for details.
All available minors are listed below; they have been grouped according to the degree program that offers the minor. For pages that list both major and minor, the minor requirements are listed at the bottom of the page.
Note: the links below are for the 19/20 calendar only. Remember that your major and minor must follow the same calendar year.
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
Bachelor of Arts
- Art History
- Arts, Culture and Heritage Management (new for 17/18)
- Classical Studies
- Creative Writing (new for 17/18)
- Criminal Justice and Public Policy*
- European Culture & Civilization
- Family and Child Studies
- French Studies
- International Development*
- Media & Cinema Studies
- Museum Studies
- Political Science
- Spanish and Hispanic Studies
- Studio Art* (new for 17/18)
- Theatre Studies
Bachelor of Science
- Computing and Information Science
- Geographic Information Systems (G.I.S.) and Environmental Analysis
- Mathematical Science
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Nutritional & Nutraceutical Sciences
- Plant Science
- Psychology: Brain & Cognition (16/17 calendar only)
* addition of these minors requires approval of the Faculty Advisor for the Specialization.
Procedure for adding a minor
To add a minor, complete the following steps:
- Meet with a B.Comm Program Counsellor--we will briefly review the requirements for your minor as well as outline the changes to your major if you need to change calendar year
- If approved, you will be given a Schedule of Studies Change Request form that you must submit to Enrolment Services, Level 3, University Centre
- Any questions about your minor should be directed to the Faculty Advisor for the Specialization
*For Criminal Justice and Public Policy, International Development, and Studio Art, you must obtain permission from the Faculty Advisor for the Specialization before meeting with a Program Counsellor.
Adding a Certificate
Certificates are awarded only after all required courses have been completed so you do not need to register for a certificate.
- You are permitted to double-count (or share) a maximum of 50% of the required courses between your major and a certificate. Certificates are typically 2.5 credits (5 courses) so the number of credits that can be double-counted is usually 1.0 (2 courses). The courses from your major that apply to the double-counting requirement are your required and restricted electives (if applicable). Liberal Education and Free electives are not considered in the double-counting requirement and can be used towards your certificate. Note that the Certificate in Leadership is exempt from the double-counting requirement.
- B.Comm students cannot complete the Certificate in Business. Students in Leadership and Organizational Management cannot complete the Certificate in Leadership. The Certificate in Hospitality Studies has several restrictions—please contact the Office of Open Learning for details.
- As certificates are awarded by the Office of Open Learning, they do not appear on your undergraduate transcript or Diploma.
To view a list of available certificates, visit the Special Study Opportunities--Certificates and Diplomas section of the current Undergraduate Calendar
Any questions about certificates should be directed to email@example.com, ext. 56050.