Frequently Asked Question- Human Resources Minor
Below are some FAQ's that BComm students may have when exploring the minor in human resources.
If you are looking for information on the major in management, please visit our management major FAQ page.
- Can anyone add the HR Minor?
- What courses are part of the HR Minor?
- Why have most of the course names have changed for the HR courses? How does this change impact me?
- If I am an LOM major and complete all ten of the HR Minor courses do I receive the HR minor?
- After completing the HR Minor will have I have completed all of the CHRL (Certified Human Resource Leader) course requirements?
- How do I declare a Minor?
- When can I declare the HR Minor?
- I still have questions. Who should I ask?
A: The HR Minor is available for all undergrads – not just BComm or Management students. If you are a third year LOM student, you need to know that If you choose to transfer to the BComm MGMT you would need to complete four additional semesters, but you may able to complete a MGMT major and an HR minor.
A: Minor (Honours Program)
A minimum of 5.00 credits is required, including:
- ACCT*1220 [0.50] Introductory Financial Accounting
- ACCT*2230 [0.50] Management Accounting
- HROB*2200 [0.50] Labour Relations (Fall)
- HROB*2090 [0.50] Individuals and Groups in Organizations
- HROB*2290 [0.50] Human Resource Management
- HROB*3010 [0.50] Compensation Systems (Fall)
- HROB*3030 [0.50] Occupational Health and Safety (Winter)
- HROB*3070 [0.50] Recruitment and Selection (Fall)
- HROB*3090 [0.50] Training and Development (Winter)
- HROB*4060 [0.50] Human Resource Planning (Winter)
A: Yes, the majority of the HR course names have changed to make them more consistent with the HRPA course requirements. This has no impact on course context or your degree requirements.
- HROB*3010 Managing and Rewarding Performance is now "Compensation Systems" F
- HROB*3030 Workplace Health and Safety is now "Occupational Health and Safety" W
- HROB*3070 Attracting and Acquiring Talent is now "Recruitment and Selection" F
- HROB*3090 Developing Talent is now "Training and Development" W
- HROB*4060 Workforce Optimization is now "Human Resource Planning" W
- ECON*2200 Industrial Relations F (will be replaced by a HROB*2200 Labour Relations)
- HROB*2200 Labour Relations F (currently as ECON*2200 F moved from Economics Department)
A: No. You cannot double count more than 2.5 courses between a major and a minor.
A: Yes. If you earn a course grade 65% or greater in each of the courses in the minor then you have completed all of the required CHRL designation course requirements.
A: Contact the B.Comm Program Counselling Office and complete the Schedule of Studies Change Form.
A: May 1, 2019 is the first that you can declare the HR Minor. The B.Comm Program Counselling Office will however accept forms beginning Monday April 8, 2019
A: Connie Zavitz, 213 Macdonald Hall, is available on a drop in only basis on Monday and Thursdays from 10 to 11am. B.Comm Program Counsellors are available during Office Hours