Master's student, Andrew Nixon is helping to improve Ontario farmers resiliency by adopting new techniques and technologies to combat climate change.
As climate change forces farmers to adapt their operations, Ontario farmers will have opportunities to grow new crops that were never possible before. MA Management candidate Andrew Nixon is researching the governance of change in agriculture, helping farmers efficiently integrate new crops, practices and technologies.
“For farmers to become more resilient and competitive in the face of climate change, managers need to be able to work effectively with farmers to introduce these new products.”
One example of a new crop that has the capability of being grown in Ontario are hazelnuts. Nixon is currently a management consultant for the Ontario Hazelnut Association, helping to manage over $1.5 million in provincial and federal researching funding. He is also part of the Mitacs Accelerate Internship program, exploring how hazelnuts can transition from a niche product to achieve major adoption in Ontario’s farming community.
U of G Connection
- MA Management candidate, focusing his research on the governance of blockchain systems for global agri-food value chains.
- Co-founded the Guelph Agri-Food Network (with Emily Duncan, PhD Geography), an interdisciplinary student club at the University of Guelph.
- Graduated with a Commerce degree, specializing in HR Management in 2014.
- Worked as a project manager intern for the John F. Wood Centre for Business and Student Enterprise
Research with Impact
- Awarded a SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarship and Tri-Council grant of $22,500.
- Named one of the inaugural Food from Thought research assistants from Arrell Food Scholars in 2017, receiving $17,500 in funding.
- Received a Graduate Excellence Entrance Scholarship of $15,000.
- Awarded a Mitacs Accelerate internship with Ferrero Canada. Project title: Exploring the Drivers of Innovation Diffusion for Ontario Hazelnuts.
On the Right Track
- President's Trophy for Student-Athlete of the Year in 2014
- Four-time All-Canadian (First Team), Cross Country
- CIS Men's Athlete of the Year, Cross Country, 2011
- Team Captain of the Guelph Gryphons Track & Field Team
- 3-time Canadian National Team Member, Track & Field (2010, 2013) and Cross-Country (2014)