The Rutherford Family Conservatory consists of a glass greenhouse, built in 1930, containing a variety of exotic plants. The building incorporates limestone blocks from the foundation of original barns on campus to accent the various plants. The greenhouse and garden restoration was funded by alumni.
Stop by the adjoining water garden, with its lily pads and stock of goldfish. Look over the large urn, dedicated to the three founding colleges of the University of Guelph, facing the greenhouse. Enjoy the spring/summer/fall/winter gardens that radiate from the greenhouse. Benches in the gardens, dedicated by university alumni, provide an ideal resting spot during the walking tour.
The restoration of this historic greenhouse was made possible through the generous gift of Don Rutherford, OAC '51 and his family of Bobcaygeon, Ontario.
A strong supporter of the Ontario Agricultural College and the University of Guelph, Don rutherford wishes to commemorate the experiences and the broad education that he, and many like him, received as students on this campus.
It is fitting that this restored building, opened June 19,1999, on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Ontario Agricultural College, hounours the name of an outstanding alumnus, Donald M. Rutherford.
The plaque is located in the front entrance to the greenhouse.