Forms, Links and FAQ's
Administrative Suite: SSC 4476 (4th floor, South-West corner of the building) Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. (Sept-June); 8:00 a.m. - 4 p.m. (July-August)
- Duplication of exams (midterm and final) is coordinated through Laleh. Submit your exam(s) in pdf format indicating # of exams, paper colour, single/double sided, and date required allowing for a 1-week turn-around.
- Materials required for exams (i.e. exam booklets, scantrons, sign-in sheets, pencils, etc.) can be obtained from Laleh.
- Rooms for marking exams are coordinated centrally. Room requirements/preferences will be solicited by Laleh at the beginning of each semester.
Faxes are sent from the photocopiers in 4475 and 3486. Log onto the copier with your copy code. Indicate any long-distances faxes in the log book beside copier.
Mail boxes are located in 4475.
- Mail pick up/delivery is scheduled for Monday/Wednesday/Friday
- Out-going mail is picked up by 8:30 a.m.
- In-coming mail is received by 9:30 a.m.
- If you wish to be removed from a mailing list, place your unwanted mail into the mail slot marked "REMOVE ME FROM MAILING LIST" (located in the mail room, underneath the internal envelopes mail slots)
Meeting rooms may be booked through any one of the Admin staff.
- Send an email indicating: preferred room; type of meeting (lab meeting, practice talk); date; start and end times; your lab supervisor.
- Meetings may only be scheduled during the current semester. Re-occurring meetings (i.e. lab meetings) must be booked at the beginning of each semester.
Lab personnel space is assigned centrally by Bertilla upon receipt of appointment information. Office keys require a deposit of $20.
Locked shredding bins are available in 3513 and 4475 for disposal of large quantities of confidential materials (i.e. exams).
Notify Vanessa Breton (x53815) when they become full. All outgoing material must be recorded on the log located near the shredding bin.
Located in 4475, 3447, 3486 and 2488
Orders and Travel Expense Claims should be delivered to the Clerks mail/copy room SSC 3347.
CBS Clerical Unit Website https://www.uoguelph.ca/cbs/clerical/
The Biobar Program is a co-operative endeavour with MCB, the Purchasing Department and various company suppliers to provide convenience and cost savings. Contact: Jamie Jones http://www.uoguelph.ca/biobar/
Electronic Access Contact: Vanessa Breton SSC 4481; ext. 53815;
email: email@example.com (backup firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Employee/student U of G ID cards will be activated once all the necessary paperwork has been completed (appointment, payroll, etc.)
- Access to the various labs, support rooms, meeting rooms, etc. is based upon one's work assignment or role within the department or college
- MCB research projects students must be registered in MCB*4500 or MCB*4510 to obtain access (by semester); if faculty have a non-MCB project course project student, access can be obtained by email request only, (name, ID, course code and specific rooms)
- Volunteers are not granted access
Electronic Access FAQ'S
Located inside the main entrance to the SSC
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Closed 12-1:15 p.m.
Bill Barnes - SSC 1110 x52266
Leanne Krick - SSC 1110 x52660; email@example.com
Karen Ingram - SSC 1110 x52660; firstname.lastname@example.org
Audiovisual Equipment (for use)
Projectors, laptops and laser pointers may be signed out at Stores.
Building maintenance/housekeeping issues should be reported to Karen or Leanne via phone or email. Report door lock issues to Bertilla.
Courier Services (FedEx/Purolator)
Access the Courier Form
Complete, print and sign/have signed by PI or his/her authorized designate. Submit with outgoing parcel/envelope to Stores personnel by 10:00 a.m.
Stores Staff administer from SSC 1110 – requisition form is required.
A key for the elevator may be obtained from Stores Staff; freight elevator training is required.
Visit http://www.chemistry.uoguelph.ca/chis to search the inventory.
- Stores Staff will help you set up an account for your research lab
- Each month, your bill will be charged to the specified trust account via a journal entry done by Nora Teri
- All requests must be signed by the PI holding the trust account or his/her authorized designate
- General office supplies used for teaching may be charged against the Department by indicating the assigned project number given to each course
- SSC 1118 - ID card access only; supervisor send request to Bertilla
- Stores Staff will issue you a freight elevator key to transport tanks to your lab
- Incoming packages are logged and delivered to your research lab. If Stores is short staffed, you may be asked via email to pick up your items
- You must submit all packing slips to the Clerks
- You will be contacted when gas cylinders/liquid nitrogen tanks arrive. Please pick them up as soon as possible. Please note that, for safety reasons, there is no access to the loading dock
An Incident Report must be filed for any event causing injury within 24 hours and submitted to Laleh Hatefi SSC 4478 for the Chair’s signature and faxing to EHS. A form-fillable PDF is available on the EHS website.
REPAIRS are reported to Jamie Jones; 4482/1110; x53816; email@example.com
Autoclaves: 3222B, 3402A, 4223B, 4402B
Liquid Scintillation Counter: 4256
Gel Doc: 3202B, 4256 (sign out paper from Stores Staff)
Sonicator: 4256: (sign out parts from Stores Staff)
French Press: 3202B (sign out parts from Stores Staff)
Speed Vac: 3202B
Ice Machines: 2202A/B, 3222B, 4103E, 4223B, 4402B, 4433
Mini Bead Beater: 4203
Ultra Centrifuges: 2202A/B, 3202B, 4203 (sign out rotors from Stores Staff)
Steamers: 3222B, 4223B
Teaching Centrifuges: 4103E
Contact: Liz Reier; 4104B; x53365
Autoclaves: pre-arranged access in Wash-up is possible but it is limited
Glass Washers: pre-arranged drop-off may be scheduled as time permit
Glassware: pre-arranged pick-ups must be scheduled
See "Wash-Up Facility Services" for details.
- All personnel must complete the three CBS online safety modules: Employees/students being paid will be enrolled automatically.
Volunteers will be enrolled with a completed Liability Waiver
Project students will be enrolled at the beginning of each semester
Visitors will be enrolled when their nil-salaried visitor appointment letter is complete.
- All new lab personnel will be enrolled in the departmental Centrifuge Training Course which includes both an 'online' and a 'hands-on' component.
More information is available in the Safety Section of our website.
Services of the wash-up facility are available to support MCB research programs in the SSC. However, the following rules and limitations apply:
The following departmental policies apply to the wash-up area:
- Closed-toed shoes must be worn at all times
- A lab coat is not necessary for transporting glassware or appropriately prepared biohazard waste to wash-up. Outside lab coats are not permitted in the wash-up area. (Refer to "Wearing of Lab Coats" and "Transporting Biohazards" in the MCB Health and Safety Manual.)
Autoclaving Sharps Containers
Sharps containers may be dropped off in wash-up before noon to be autoclaved prior to disposal. Containers must be clearly labeled with lab name and phone number.
IMPORTANT: A COMPLETED "EHS SHARPS DISPOSAL REQUEST" FORM AND A YELLOW EHS HAZARD TAG MUST ACCOMPANY EVERY CONTAINER.
Glassware Pick Up
A limited amount of departmental glassware is available for use by the research labs. The available items are:
- 13 x 100 mm test tubes
- 16 x 150 mm test tubes
- 16 x 100 mm screw cap test tubes
- 16 x 125 mm screw cap test tubes
- 2 oz bottles (approx. 60 mL)
- 6 oz bottles (approx. 180 mL)
- bijou bottles (approx. 5 mL)
- caps/lids for the above items
A number of items belonging to the teaching labs are stored in wash-up and are clearly marked as "teaching only". Please do not remove these items from wash-up.
Glassware Drop Off
Borrowed glassware must be decontaminated, emptied, and well rinsed before being returned to wash-up. All labels, parafilm, tape and caps must be removed. Glassware may be returned to the designated area in wash up anytime during normal working hours.
Research Glassware Cleaning
If you have items that you would like to have washed in MCB dishwashers, please speak to the wash-up technician to make specific arrangements
(x 53365, Liz Reier). The turnaround time for this service is 1-2 workdays.
Properly-labelled biohazard waste can be delivered to 4104B during scheduled drop off times.
Prior to dropping off your orange biohazard bags containing solid waste (ex. Petri plates, ELISA plates, API strips, disposable tissue culture flasks, pipettes and centrifuge tubes, etc.), you must sign up on autoclave schedule to receive your designated run time. A schedule is located in the wash-up room on the metal shelves. Drop off waste in wash-up 5-10 minutes before the two scheduled autoclave run times.
Bags must be labeled with lab name and room number, sealed with autoclave tape, and placed in the appropriate container in wash-up. (We keep a number of Nalgene bins for this purpose. Please do not remove these from wash-up). Due to increased user volume, only two bags per lab will be accepted daily.
Please note: MCB department safety procedures dictate that contaminated materials must be sealed and transported to wash-up in durable, leak proof containers and wiped on the outside with disinfectant before leaving the lab. (Refer to :Transporting Biohazards" and "Biosafety" in the MCB Health and Safety Manual.)
If you need to sterilize larger items (ex. carboys, fermenters, 4L flasks), one of our larger autoclaves may be booked. Contact the wash up technician at least 2 days in advance to make arrangements (x53365, Liz Reier). Users must be trained on the wash-up autoclaves prior to the booking.
Failure to follow the standard operating and safety procedures while using our autoclaves may result in loss of autoclave privileges for your lab.