Research Topics MCB*4600
Registering for Topics in Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB*4600)
Students in this course do independent literature-based research under the supervision of individual faculty. You must have identified and confirmed an advisor before you can register and begin your Topics course.
- You must have the prerequisites for Research Projects as detailed in the Calendar.
- You must identify a faculty member who is willing to advise you in your Topics research. Potential advisors should be contacted at least one semester before you register. Advisors can be from any Department at the University of Guelph provided that their research involves biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics and/or microbiology. Research being done by faculty in the MCB Department is described on their faculty pages.
- After you have decided on an advisor you should confirm the commitment of the faculty member using the Topic Research Agreement. This form is a contract between you and your Advisor. By signing the form, you confirm that you have attained the course prerequisites and you will adhere to the requirements of the course. Your Advisor also agrees to advise you and participate in the grading of the course. A Project Agreement is only complete when all signatures are obtained where required.
- When you have secured an Advisor, obtain a Course Waiver Request form and fill it out for the course. The form can be picked up from Student Client Services on the 3rd floor of the University Centre or it can be downloaded and printed from the link above.
Leave the section number blank because the Course Coordinator will assign a section number corresponding to your Faculty Advisor.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Course Coordinator to hand in your signed Topic Project Agreement form, and have your Course Waiver Request form signed.
NOTE: the Course Coordinator signs your Course Waiver Request (not your advisor) The current Course Coordinator is Dr. Enoka Wijekoon (email@example.com).
- Submit the signed Course Waiver Request over to Student Client Services on the 3rd floor of the University Centre to be registered in the course.