Through the unique partnership between the University of Guelph and OMAFRA, 15 research stations located throughout Ontario enable research that supports the agri-food industry.
All 15 research stations are owned by the Agricultural Research Institute of Ontario (ARIO). The University of Guelph manages the stations with oversight from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’s Research and Innovation Branch.
From Ridgetown in the southwest to Winchester in the east and New Liskeard in the north, each station has a particular livestock, food or crops focus, or is representative of unique farming areas, such as Northern or Eastern Ontario. Most have multiple research facilities and provide an important platform for research extension and teaching demonstrations.
This cross-province network of animal and crop research stations helps ensure the Ontario agri-food industry will be strong and thriving for years to come.
To learn more, select an option below:
Researchers or companies looking to access a research station must apply through the Research Program.
Livestock Research and Innovation Centre – Dairy Facility
Tours of LRIC-Dairy are contingent upon approval of a tour application. Each request is considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Rebecca Rebus at 519-826-3809 or email Rebecca for more information and to get an application.
Other Research Stations
For information about potential tours of other ARIO research stations, please contact Mary Visser Kerr at 519-826-3800 or email Mary.
- One of the newest research stations, the Livestock Research and Innovation Centre – Dairy Facility in Elora, ON, provides state-of-the-art facilities for dairy researchers, as well as new opportunities for education, collaboration and outreach.
- The new research greenhouse facility at Vineland Research and Innovations Centre (VRIC), located at Vineland, ON celebrated its grand opening in June 2016.
- Planning is underway for new field crop services buildings at both New Liskeard Station and Winchester Agricultural Research Station, with construction expected in Summer 2017.
- Planning continues for a new facility for the Guelph Turfgrass Institute and the relocation of research plots with detailed site design and plot construction underway.
- Ontario will soon be home to the most sophisticated, sustainable livestock production research centre in Canada. Construction began on the new Beef Livestock Research and Innovation Centre in Elora, ON in fall 2017.