B.Sc. Utkal University;
M.Sc. Utkal University;
M.Phill Utkal University;
Ph.D. Utkal University
Department of Plant Agriculture
School of Engineering
University of Guelph
50 Stone Rd. E.,
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Phone: 519-824-4120 x. 56766, x. 58935 (School of Engineering)
Bio-Based New Materials and Green Nanotechnology
- Biofibers and biocomposites, wood fiber and wood/plastic composites
- Synthesis of bio-polyols from plant oils, their polyurethanes and biocomposites
- Biobased Polyesters and their Composites
- Biobased Epoxies and their Composites
- Bio-based polymers (Polylactides-PLA, Polyhydroxyalkanoates-PHAs, Cellulose plastics, Soy protein plastics, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles-DDGS plastics, lignin plastics, poly(trimethylene terephthalate)-Sorona™ Polymer), their blends, composites and nanocomposites
- Surface treatment of micro and nanofibers and fiber-matrix adhesion
- Biocomposites from flax, hemp, kenaf, jute, sisal, henequen, cellulose, bamboo, talc and fly ash
- Reactive extrusion processing
- Extrusion and injection molding of biocomposites
- Multilayer injection molding
- Biocomposite sheet molding compounds
- Biocomposite powder processing (BioSMC)
- Microwave processing of biocomposites
- Vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) of biocomposites
- Novel materials derived from starch and chitosan
- Thermoplastic and thermoset nanocomposites
- Nanobiocomposites from carbon nanotubes, alumina nanowhisker, silver nanoparticles and cellulose nanocrystals
- Self-cleaning/ultrahydrophobic nanocoatings, adhesives, paints
- Electrospinning processing
- Application of nanotechnology in pathogen detection, air pollution detection and remediation, drug delivery systems, pest detection and control, water treatment, agricultural productivity enhancement and safety
ENGG*2120 Material Science
ENGG*2660 Biological Engineering
Grad level course:
ENGG*6130 Physical Properties of Biomaterials
Petla, R., S. Vivekanandhan, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra, N. Satyanarayana. (2012). Soybean (Glycine Max) Leaf Extract Based Green Synthesis of Palladium Nanoparticles. Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology. (In press, January 2012).
Reddy,M.M., M. Misra, A.K. Mohanty. (2011). Optimization of tensile properties thermoplastic blends from soy and biodegradable polyesters: Taguchi design of experiments approach. Journal of Materials Science. DOI 10.1007/s10853-011-6083-6.
Reddy,M.M., M. Misra, A.K. Mohanty. (2011). Biodegradable Blends from Plasticized Soy Meal, Polycaprolactone and Polybutylene Succinate. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. DOI: 10.1002/mame.201100203
Sahoo, S., M. Misra, A.K. Mohanty. (2011). Enhanced properties of lignin-based biodegradable polymer composites using injection molding process. Composites Part A 42: 1710-1718.
Nyambo, C., M. Misra, A.K. Mohanty. (2011). Effect of maleated compatibilizer on performance of PLA-Wheat straw based green composites. Macromolecular Materials & Engineering. 296(8): 710-718.
Zampaloni, M., F. Pourboghrat , James Moore, S.A. Yankovich, B.N. Rodgers, L.T. Drzal, A.K. Mohanty and M. Misra. (2007). Kenaf Natural Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composites: A Discussion on Manufacturing Problems and Solutions. Composite Part A: applied science and manufacturing. 38A(6):1569-1580.
Huda, M.S., L.T. Drzal, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra. (2006). Wood Fiber Reinforced Poly(lactic acid) Composites: Physico-Mechanical and Morphological Properties Evaluation. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 102:4856-4869.
Pandey, J.K., A.P. Kumar, M. Misra, A.K. Mohanty, L.T. Drzal, R P. Singh. (2005). Recent Advances in Biodegradable Nanocomposites. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 5(4):497-525.
Zaverl, M.* , M.O Seydibeyoğlu, M. Misra, A. Mohanty. (2012). Studies on Recyclability of Polyhydroxybutyrate-co-valerate Bioplastic: Multiple Melt Processing and Performance Evaluations. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. (In press, January 2012).
* undergraduate student researcher
Diebel, W.* , M. M. Reddy, M. Misra, A. Mohanty. (2012). Material property characterization of co-products from biofuel industries: Potential uses in value-added biocomposites. Biomass and Bioenergy. (In press, January 2012).
* undergraduate student researcher
Petla, R., N. Khan*, S. Vivekanandhan, N. Satyanarayana, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra. (2012). NANOFIBERS: Effective Generation by Electrospinning and Their Applications. Journal of Nanoscience and Technology. (In press, January 2012).
* undergraduate student researcher
Christensen, L.*, S. Vivekanandhan, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra (2011). Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Murraya koenigii (Curry Leaf) Extract. Advanced Materials Letters. (In press, December 2011).
* undergraduate student researcher
Vivekanandhan, S., M. Venkateswarlu, D. Carnahan, M. Misra, A.K. Mohanty, N. Satyanarayana. (2011). Functionalization of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes with Silver Nanoparticles Using Tecoma stans Leaf Extract. Physica E.
Sahoo, S., M.O. Seydibeyğlu, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra. (2011). Characterization of Industrial Lignins for their Utilization in Future Value Added Applications. Biomass and Bioenergy. 35: 4230-4237.
Huda, M.S., V. Balan, L.T. Drzal, S.P.S. Chundawat, B.E. Dale, M. Misra. (2007). Effect of ammonia fiber expansion(AFEX) and silane treatments of corncob granules on the properties of renewable resource based bio-composites. Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy. 1:127–136.
Liu, W., L.T. Drzal, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra. (2007). Influence of processing methods and fiber length on physical properties of kenaf fiber reinforced soy based biocomposites. Composites Part B: Engineering: Special Issue (Biocomposites). 38(3):352-359.
Miyagawa, H., A.K. Mohanty, R. Burgueño, L.T. Drzal, M. Misra. (2007). Novel Biobased Resins from the Blends of Functionalized Soybean Oil and Unsaturated Polyester Resin. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics. 45:698–704.
Tummala, P., W. Liu, L.T. Drzal, A.K. Mohanty, M. Misra. (2006). Influence of plasticizers on thermal, mechanical properties and morphology of soy based bioplastics. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 45:7491-7496.
Chapters in Books: 2011
- A. K. Mohanty, M. Özgür Seydibeyoğlu, Saswata Sahoo, Manjusri Misra.“Engineering Crops for Bioproducts” in Comprehensive Biotechnology Book (Volume 4), Elsevier (2011).
- Manjusri Misra, S. Vivekanandhan, Amar K. Mohanty, Johanne Denault. “Nanotechnologies for Agricultural Bioproducts” in Comprehensive Biotechnology Book (Volume 6), Elsevier (2011).
- Manjusri Misra, M.Özgür Seydibeyoğlu, Dipa Ray, Kunal Das, Amar K. Mohanty. “Biodegradable nanocomposites from cellulosic plastics and cellulosic fiber”, in Nanocomposites with Biodegradable Polymers: Synthesis, Properties, and Future Perspectives, Edited by: Dr. Vikas Mittal, by Oxford Press (2011).
- Manjusri Misra, Sandeep Ahankari, Anh Dung NGO, Amar K. Mohanty. “Creep and fatigue of natural fiber composites”, in Interface Engineering of Natural Fibre Composites for Maximum Performance Edited by: Dr. Nikolaos E. Zafeiropoulos, by Woodhead Press (2011).
Magazine Article: 2011
C.Nyambo, A.Mohanty, M.Misra, “PLA Composites With Field Crop Residues”. Bioplastics Magazine, Jan2011.
Chairs/Co-Chair: (Sep 2010- Jan 2012)
- Session Chair: 6th ASC Annual Technical Conference (the Second Joint US-Canada Conference on Composites), Montreal, September 26- 28, 2011." Structural Apps of Bio Composites" T3 Sessions, Tuesday Afternoon, September 27, 2011.
- Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Sustainability and Biobased Materials, AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, AIChE Annual Meeting 2011, Minneapolis, October 2011.
- Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials III: Value-Added Coproducts, AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, AIChE Annual Meeting 2011, Minneapolis, October 2011.
- Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials II: Lignin-Based Materials, AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, AIChE Annual Meeting 2011, Minneapolis, October 2011.
- Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials I: General, AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, AIChE Annual Meeting 2011, Minneapolis , October 2011 International Scientific & Advisory Board, 18th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM18), Jeju, Korea, August 21-26, 2011.
- Chair: Manjusi Misra Co-Chair: Vijaikumar (FRIDAY, 25 March) SYNTHESIS II– 4.00 –6.00 PM INVITED LECTURES INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE on ADVANCEMENTS IN POLYMERIC MATERIALS, CHENNAI, March 24-26, 2011.
- Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials IV AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, Salt Lake City , November 2010 Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials III AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, Salt Lake City, November 2010.
- Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials II AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, Salt Lake City , November 2010 Session Co-Chair, Forest and Plant Bioproducts Division, Biobased Materials I AIChE Annual Meeting 2010, Salt Lake City, November 2010.
- Session Co-chair: Plenary Session, 18th Annual Conference on Polymers And The Environment: Emerging Green Technologies & Science, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, October 13-15, 2010.
Invited/Plenary Talk: (Sep 2010- Jan 2012)
- Manjusri Misra, "Novel Green Materials From Biobased Resin Systems And Lignin Hybrid: Processing And Applications", 14th International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry Conference on Polymers and Organic Chemistry (POC 2012), Doha, Qatar, Jan 6-9, (2012) (Invited Talk).
- Manjusri Misra, "Biomaterials: Linking Agriculture and Manufacturing to Create Value and Enhance Sustainability" OMAFRA Bioeconomy Research Day & Exp, December 7th, (2011) (Invited Talk).
- Manjusri Misra, "Renewable Resource Based "All Green" Composites from Poly(furfuryl alcohol), Lignin & Biofibre" Laboratory for Advanced Research in Polymeric Materials (LARPM), Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology, Bhubaneswar, India, Dec 26, (2011) (Invited Talk).
- Manjusri Misra, "Green Composites and Bionanocomposites based on Agro/Biofuel Industry Residues: Current Status and Future Prospective" Universidad de La Frontera, Temuco – Chile, November 25, (2011) (Invited Talk).
- Manjusri Misra, "Green composites from agro residues: current trends & future prospective" International conference on advancements in polymeric materials, Chennai March 24-26, (2011) (Plenary Talk).