Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences
Out of Province Requirements
How Food Optimizes Biological Function
Develop a Human Health Foundation
Offered within the Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, this major will provide you with a broad and basic grounding in the biology of nutrition, physiology, pathology, pharmacology and nutraceuticals.
Help Solve Contemporary Nutrition Issues
Tackle nutrition-related problems in the food, pharmaceutical and natural health product industries by gaining an understanding of how nutrients, phytochemicals, toxins and food processing products affect the human body.
Gain Hands-on Research Experience
Complete a research course with a faculty member in a discipline related to nutrition, food, nutraceuticals, health and disease to further your skills and experience in the field.
Why Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences?
"Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
From early civilization to the present day, we have always had an evolving relationship with food; how it optimizes biological function, the role of food in disease prevention and intervention, how we process and store foods and much more. As an exciting and evolving program, the Honours B.Sc. major in Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences will explore how we can use nutrients, minerals and food’s chemical properties to develop innovative products that will benefit humans, animals and the environment.
What You Will Learn
- Biological Concepts of Health
- General Chemistry I
- Elements of Calculus I
- Physics for Life Sciences
- Discovering Biodiversity
- Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
- General Chemistry II
- Physics for Life Sciences II
- Introduction to Biochemistry
- Foundations in Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Statistics I
- Structure and Function in Biochemistry
- Human Physiology I - Concepts and Principles
- Molecular Biology of the Cell
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Human Physiology II - Integrated Systems
- Micronutrients, Phytochemicals and Health
- Lifestyle Genomics
- Applied Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences I
- Principles of Pharmacology
- Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals
- Nutrition and Metabolic Control of Disease
- Applied Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences II
- Nutrition, Exercise and Energy Metabolism
- Toxicology, Nutrition and Food
- electives or restricted electives
In 2021, more than $42.7 million in scholarships was awarded to U of G students. Learn more about applications, requirements and available Scholarships.
Tour Our Campus
Through virtual tours, presentations, webinars and in-person tours, get familiar with U of G campus.
Learn more about how to connect, discover, and engage with programs, facilities and life at the U of G.