The Physical Science & Engineering Education Research Centre provides funding to support capacity building and information dissemination at workshops and conferences related to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
The PSEER Conference & Workshop Travel Award is provided to support undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, staff, sessional instructors, and faculty from the College of Engineering & Physical Sciences to attend a Scholarship of Teaching and Learning conference or workshop.
Undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, staff, sessional instructors, and faculty from the College of Engineering & Physical Sciences are eligible to apply. Students are eligible for conferences or workshops held during their program or in the semester immediately following completion of their program.
Eligible expenses include registration, accommodation, per diem, and transportation.
Any conference or workshop in the domain for which the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in higher education is the primary focus (e.g. Western Conference on Science Education, the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning conference, or the annual meeting of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education).
All qualified people are encouraged to apply and attend a conference or workshop; however, priority will be given to students presenting at a conference and faculty attending or presenting at a teaching conference or workshop for the first time. Applicants may receive one (1) PSEER Conference Travel Award each year (June-May).
Maximum Award Value:
Within Ontario: $500
Outside Ontario: $1000
*** In a given semester, $5,000 is available for awards ***
To claim their award, successful awardees agree to participate in a communication activity before, during, or after the conference.
- Before – give their conference presentation as a dry run at a PSEER-sponsored event.
- During – provide updates about the conference through social media that can be linked to the PSEER Twitter account.
- After – write a blog post about their experience and conference presentation for the PSEER website.
Applications should be submitted online before the conference or workshop. Applications are processed on the last day of May, September, and January. The online application form can be found by clicking here.
- Applications received by May 31st should be for travel between June 1st and September 30th.
- Applications received by September 30th should be for travel between October 1st and January 31st.
- Applications received by January 31st should be for travel between February 1st and May 31st.
For a list of travel funded through PSEER, click here.