Transfer of advisors

See Chapter IV, heading Master of Arts, Master of Arts (Leadership), Master of Applied Science, Master of Bioinformatics, Master of Biotechnology, Master of Engineering, Master of Environmental Sciences, Master of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics, Master of Science, Master of Planning, Master of Science (Planning), subheading Department Regulations 

Look for "Area-specific transfer of advisors" below CONTENTS for area-specific guidance if it exists. 

Area-specific transfer of advisors MA AS


Students are assigned a primary advisor (or co-advisors) upon admission. In rare cases a student may wish to change his or her primary advisor (or co-advisors). If a student wishes to change his or her primary advisor (or co-advisors) the student must notify the AS graduate studies coordinator. The coordinator will provide assistance to the student who seeks to transfer. In those cases where the advisor is also the AS graduate studies coordinator, the student should contact the departmental graduate studies coordinator.

Please note that transfers will be at the discretion of the faculty member(s) being asked to become the student’s primary advisor (or co-advisors).

If a faculty member agrees to become the student’s new primary advisor (or co-advisor), then typically a new advisory committee will be constituted under the direction of the newly appointed advisor.  Normally, at least one of the members of the existing advisory committee will continue as a member of the new advisory committee.  The decision to continue as an advisory committee member is at the discretion of the faculty member.