University of Guelph Graduate Calendar

Admission Regulations

Admission Requirements
In the Graduate Calendar, the typical Canadian university curriculum and university system are understood to be the academic standard of reference.
   The minimum requirement for admission to a master's program is a baccalaureate, in an honours program or the equivalent, from a recognized university or college. The applicant must have achieved an average standing of at least second-class honours ('B-' standing) in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (full- time equivalent). Applicants who hold the DVM degree (or equivalent) and who are applying to the master's program must have achieved an overall average standing of at least second-class honours ('B-' standing) in their program. Standings higher than the minimum 'B-' average are required in some departments for admission to the master's program. Applicants for admission to graduate work whose baccalaureate is not from an honours program or the equivalent and who wish to obtain an honours equivalent degree should direct any enquiries to Admissions Services, Office of Registrarial Services.
   Applicants who wish to upgrade an honours baccalaureate completed at a level marginally below the minimum requirement for admission should consult Graduate Program Services, Office of Registrarial Services, for advice on appropriate upgrading procedures prior to applying to a graduate program.
   Applicants who believe that their experiential learning may compensate for academic standing which does not meet the university minimum requirements are directed to contact the program(s) of interest regarding availability of alternative admissions criteria.
   Admission to doctoral programs normally requires a satisfactory baccalaureate and at least high second- class honours ('B' standing) in a recognized master's degree. Applicants who hold the DVM degree (or equivalent) and who are applying to the DVSc program must have achieved an overall average standing of at least high second-class honours ('B' standing) in their program. Standings higher than the minimum 'B' average are required in some departments for admission to doctoral programs.
   Admission, whether as a regular, a provisional, or a special is, in all cases, based upon the recommendation of the department concerned and is subject to the approval of the dean of Graduate Studies on behalf of the Board of Graduate Studies.
   Admission to advanced courses of instruction or to the privileges of research does not imply admission to candidacy for a higher degree.

Application for Admission
   Application forms may be obtained through the graduate secretary in any graduate program; check with the individual program for deadline dates. The applicant must assemble all relevant documentation (see below) and any additional program-specific application materials (outlined in the graduate programs section of the Graduate Calendar) and forward the complete package to the department to which the applicant is applying.

Transcripts: One certified copy of each previous undergraduate and graduate transcript must be submitted. Applicants from outside North America are strongly urged to attach official statements of the grades obtained and the subject matter included. In instances where only one original transcript is issued, certified copies rather than originals should be submitted.

Letters of Recommendation: Assessment forms from two individuals who are well acquainted with the applicant's education and abilities must be submitted. Academic references are preferred, but former employers are also acceptable referees.

English Proficiency: Courses at the University of Guelph are completed in approximately 12 weeks. Students therefore must be proficient in the use of English, both written and oral, when they begin their studies at Guelph. The university requires that certification of such proficiency be provided by applicants whose first language is not English. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of the Educational Testing Service, the British Council English Language Testing Service (IELTS, also known as the English examination of the University of Cambridge), the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), and the Carleton Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment are all acceptable to the University of Guelph; official scores or results from one of the four are regarded as acceptable assessment of proficiency. The minimum acceptable score is 550 for TOEFL, 6.5 for British Council, 85 for MELAB, and 60 for CAEL. (These minimum acceptable scores are subject to change.) Applicants should make arrangements to take one of these tests at least three to six months before the opening date of the semester.

Other Academic Examinations: In some departments, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores may be used as a basis for determining the acceptability of an applicant. Ample time should be allowed for the results to reach Guelph.

Refusal of Admission
   Limitations of funds, space, facilities or personnel may make it necessary for the university, at its discretion, and in spite of the admission requirements set out in 1.1, to refuse admission to an otherwise acceptable applicant.

Admission of Faculty Members
Members of the faculty of the university who are:
(i) senior in rank to a lecturer are not eligible for admission to master's degree studies,
(ii) senior in rank to an assistant professor are not eligible for admission to doctoral studies. Permission to undertake graduate studies must be obtained from the president of the University of Guelph.

Tentative Admission
   Tentative admission may be granted to an applicant whose record to date is acceptable but whose application is incomplete. If the documents are satisfactory when received, the student's admission is confirmed. If they are unsatisfactory, admission is revoked.

Letter of Permission
   Persons completing graduate programs at universities outside Ontario for whom it is necessary to complete some coursework at the University of Guelph may apply for admission to a non-degree program on a Letter of Permission.
   Any such students must complete the normal University of Guelph Application for Admission form. A letter must be submitted to Graduate Program Services by the dean of graduate studies at the student's home university which outlines precisely what the student is expected to complete while at Guelph. This letter must also state that the work completed at Guelph will be a part of the student's program at the home university. International applicants must provide documentation of sufficient funding. No further admission documentation is required.
   Students admitted on a Letter of Permission will register as special non-degree students. Students are responsible for requesting that transcripts of work completed at Guelph be sent to their home university.

Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Plan
   Ontario universities currently have in place a plan whereby graduate students may take courses at other Ontario universities while remaining registered at their home universities. For information concerning the regulations and procedures involved, interested students are asked to contact the graduate studies office at their home university.