University of Guelph Graduate Calendar

Student Programs

Advisory Committee
    In all cases, the student's program of study is established and supervised by the advisory committee. Once the committee has been approved, no changes may be made to its membership without the written approval of the departmental graduate studies committee and the consent of the dean of Graduate Studies.

Establishment of Program
    After examining the student's academic record, the committee will arrange a program appropriate for the degree. The committee will give due consideration to relevant courses passed by the student at any recognized university or college and any necessary placement examinations taken. The program will include prescribed studies on the basis of which the candidate's final standing will be determined. It may include additional courses either chosen by the student or specified by the committee. The program established by the advisory committee must be submitted for approval to the dean of Graduate Studies no later than the beginning of the student's third semester.

Changes in Program
    Once the program of courses is established, changes may be made, subject to the approval of the advisory committee, and reported to the dean of Graduate Studies.

Transfer of Academic Credit
    On the recommendation of the adviser and with the approval of the department chair and the dean of Graduate Studies, a graduate student may take, and receive credit for, graduate courses at another university. The arrangements for these courses must be made through the dean of Graduate Studies or the dean's delegate.

Seminar Courses, Practica and Internships
    Either a numeric grade or a designation of satisfactory (SAT) or unsatisfactory (UNS) may be used in evaluating the student's performance in such courses.

Major Paper
    In all non-thesis programs, the major paper is assigned a course number and appropriate credits. The course may extend over two semesters and the student's performance may be indicated by a numeric grade or a satisfactory (SAT) or unsatisfactory (UNS) designation. A copy of the major paper must be deposited in the department or school in which the student is registered.

Auditor Privilege
    With the consent of the advisory committee, the instructor and the department chair concerned, a student may register for and audit all or part of a course. It is understood that the student will attend lectures as prescribed but will not write any examination or receive any grade. Such a course may be recorded as an additional course, identified by AUD.

Language of Instruction
    The English language is used for instruction, in the writing of examinations, and in text books used at this university (except in modern and classical languages). The thesis and other reports must be written in English.

Short Courses for Graduate Teaching Assistants
    Graduate teaching assistants and other graduate students may avail themselves of short courses on specific educational topics offered by Teaching Support Services. Information on the courses offered in the each academic year may be obtained from Teaching Support Services.

Animal Care Instruction
    All graduate students who will utilize vertebrate animals in their research and/or who will be teaching assistants in a course involving vertebrate animals must take a short course offered by the Animal Care Committee or have equivalent training. Students must take this course as early as possible in their program.