IV. Admission Information

Application Procedures

Applying From Outside Canada - International Applicant

If you do not have citizenship or landed immigrant status in Canada and the majority of your education has occurred in a country other than Canada. Applications to the University of Guelph-Humber must be made through the Ontario University Application Centre at http://www.compass.ouac.on.ca using the 105 F application.

It is your responsibility to ensure that all official school transcripts (secondary and post-secondary and other official documentations (e.g. TOEFL scores) are sent directly to the University of Guelph-Humber, Registrarial Services - Admissions at the address below.

For full consideration, applicants from International Secondary Schools should send their secondary school grade results (official transcript or school progress report) including courses that may be in-progress by February 1st. This should include final grade data from the first semester of the senior year or predicted final grades. All grades will be considered in making an admission decision.

If you are currently enrolled in a college or university level program, you are required to send all grade results to date to facilitate a timely admission decision. Official final transcripts will be required if an offer of admission is extended and accepted.

In order to ensure that the admission process is efficiently completed, applicants from outside of Canada are encouraged to make applications for fall entry and arrange for all documents required for an admission decision by or before February 1st.

University of Guelph-Humber
Registrarial Services - Admission
207 Humber College Blvd.
Toronto, ON
M9W 5L7

English Translation of Documents

If you are submitting transcripts or other official documents in a language other than English, you must also submit notarized literal translations of these documents in English.

English Proficiency

Applicants for admission will be required to present evidence of English proficiency if their primary or first language is not English and they have had less than four years of full-time secondary school study in an English-language school system. Applicants required to provide evidence of English proficiency must do so by submitting the required scores in (1) or (2) or (3) or (4) below:

  1. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.

  2. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) or Internet-based with a minimum total score of 89, with no individual scaled score less than 21, and Test of Written English (TWE) with a score of 50

  3. The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) - minimum overall score of 85, including composition score of 83 and oral score of 3.

  4. Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) is accepted for admission purposes. A minimum overall band score of 70.

  5. Pearson Test of English (PTE) – minimum overall score of 60 with no score less than 60 in the individual components.

These requirements do not apply to students from a French-language school system who have completed a course equivalent to Ontario's Grade 12, ENG4U.

Visa Requirements

Citizens of many countries must apply for a visitor visa to come to Canada. If Canada requires you to have a visitor visa, you must apply for one in addition to your student authorization. Please apply for a multiple-entry visitor visa. For further information, please contact your local visa and immigration office or refer to the Canadian Immigration web site at http://www.cic.gc.ca.

American Students (U.S. Citizens)

American students can secure their student authorization at any point of entry into Canada. Students must show the immigration officer their letter of acceptance from the University of Guelph-Humber, proof of citizenship, proof of funds and pay the visa fee.

International Students (other than U.S. Citizens)

The University of Guelph-Humber, Registrarial Services office does not issue student authorizations. To study in Canada, all students must apply for a student authorization at the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate.

A student authorization is commonly called a student visa. For you to be considered for a student visa, the Canadian immigration officer will need to see your letter of acceptance from the University of Guelph-Humber, proof of citizenship and proof of funds for one academic year. The University of Guelph-Humber and Immigration Canada expect international students to have enough funds for the duration of their study in Canada, and especially during their first year. The issuance of a student visa is strongly based on your ability to finance your education. The student visa is usually issued for the duration of the academic program.

Secondary school applicants need to send us:

  • Secondary school transcripts

  • Mid-term or predicted final grades for the current school year

  • SAT or ACT scores if you are in an American school system

  • English Proficiency results (if required)

Transfer students will need to send us:

  • Secondary school transcripts

  • SAT or ACT scores if you are in an American School system

  • College and/or university transcripts

  • College or university mid-terms or predicted grades for the current school year (these may expedite an admission decision)

  • English Proficiency results (if required)

  • Detailed course outlines or course calendar

It is your responsibility to get these documents to the University of Guelph-Humber. Documents must be official (original or notarized copies) and sent directly from the institution when possible. A decision will not be made on your application until all documentation has been received.

After applying, the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) will confirm receipt of your application. You will also receive a letter from the University of Guelph-Humber acknowledging receipt of your application and outlining what documents have been received, and which are still outstanding. Once all of your documents have arrived at the University, your application will be sent to the Admissions Committee for a decision.

University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1