Conditions for Continuation of Study
The criteria for continuation of study are stated in Section VIII, Undergraduate Degree Regulations & Procedures.
- A student who achieves a final grade of 40-49% in any course or has failed to complete the components of the examination and received an incomplete grade should be referred to Academic Review. (Note: a student who receives a final grade of less than 40% is not eligible for consideration).
- A student who achieves a failing grade in more than one course over the Fall/Winter semester will not normally be granted a supplemental privilege in any course. The student will be required to repeat the failed courses (Section VIII, Undergraduate Degree Regulations & Procedures). Effectively, for students in the D.V.M. program, this will mean that the student will be required to repeat the failed course, thus, effectively repeating the year. Academic Review will not normally create exceptions to this policy.
- A student will be allowed to fail a particular course only once. Therefore, the student will normally be required to withdraw from the program at the second failure. A supplemental privilege will not be granted for a second failure in a course.
- A student who achieves a final grade of 40-49% in only one course over the year will be eligible for consideration for a Supplemental Privilege (Section VIII, Undergraduate Degree Regulations & Procedures).
- Continuation of study from 1 year to another is dependent on successful completion of all courses, or approved equivalents, in the published schedule of studies.
- The DVM program is offered as a full-time program and normally requires 8 semesters to complete. In exceptional extenuating circumstances, the Academic Review committee may allow a student to take courses on a part-time basis. In these instances, the Academic review Committee has the discretion to select the courses. Student taking courses on a part-time basis are cautioned that there is an enrolment limitation for the program and that access to certain courses or resumption of the program on a full-time basis will be conditional on the availability of space.