IV. Admission Information

Post-Degree and Letter of Permission

University graduates who wish to enrol in degree courses to upgrade their degree or to gain credit for admission to a graduate or other academic program should apply to a non-degree category (e.g. B.A. non-degree). Applicants must hold a degree which is recognized as equivalent to a Canadian university's undergraduate or graduate degree. A student from another university wishing to register at the University of Guelph to take courses for credit at the home university, must present The Visiting Student application and a Letter of Permission from the Registrar, Dean or program supervisor of the home institution authorizing a program selection. For details please visit http://admission.uoguelph.ca/visitingstudent.

The Post-Degree and Visiting Student (LOP) categories are not normally open to applicants who do not meet University of Guelph general regulations for continuation of study outlined under Continuation of Study, Undergraduate Degree Regulations, Section VIII of the Undergraduate Calendar and transfer requirements.

An offer of admission to post-degree or on the basis of Letter of Permission does not imply in any way that space will be available in the course(s) in which the applicant wishes to register. Students should contact Enrolment Services about space availability in their desired courses.

A post-degree applicant who has not previously registered at the University of Guelph, should apply at the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) using an OUAC 105 Online Application Form using code GND. An applicant who has previously registered at the University of Guelph should apply online as a Non-Degree Readmission Student. All post-degree applicants must submit the Supplementary Information Form for Degree Holders.

Students who register in the non-degree category and who subsequently want to change to a degree status will be required to meet admission requirements for that program, and credit granted for courses taken in the non-degree category will be subject to the regulations pertaining to that program. Students should see their program counsellor for details.

Second Degrees

Students from the University of Guelph or from another university may be admitted to and graduate with a second undergraduate degree from the University of Guelph, under the following conditions:

  1. Students who have graduated with their first degree must apply to the University of Guelph for admission to the second degree program. A maximum of 10.00 credits may be transferred from the initial degree program.

  2. In-course University of Guelph students may apply to graduate with two degrees at the same convocation. A maximum of 10.00 credits may be transferred from the declared program to the undeclared program.

In a) and b), the course content of the second degree program must be substantially different from that of the first. A second degree is judged to be substantially different if:

  • The specializations are in different subject areas as listed in Section XII--Course Descriptions; or

  • The schedule of studies requirements are substantially different (no more than 25% overlap).

This rule is also applicable to different subject areas within the same degree program, allowing, for example, a second B.A. or B.Sc. degree to be awarded as long as the criteria are met.

Honours Equivalent

Students from the University of Guelph or another university may upgrade a degree from the general program to the honours program to obtain an Honours Equivalent recognition. Students may also upgrade a degree from the honours program by the completion of an additional specialization to qualify for the Honours Equivalent recognition. All interested students must apply for admission to the Honours Equivalent program per the application procedures outlined in this section (IV - Application Procedures). All previous University of Guelph credits may be utilized toward the equivalent degree from the honours program.

To be granted an Honours Equivalent, students must satisfy the University of Guelph residence requirements. In addition, students must satisfy the conditions for graduation for the specified honours program using the calendar that is in effect for the semester to which they have been admitted.

The students who are granted the Honours Equivalent designation do not receive a second degree parchment and do not participate in a convocation program, but have the designation shown on their transcript. Graduation standing is not assigned for the Honours Equivalent designation.

University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1