VIII. Undergraduate Degree Regulations and Procedures


A. Baccalaureate Programs

A student normally must be registered as a degree student in the program for the degree being awarded. However, a student registered in an honours program may apply to graduate from a general program in the same degree or a different degree, provided that all of the conditions for graduation for that degree have been satisfied using the calendar that is in effect at the time of application. A student with a non-degree program type is not considered for graduation; however, the student should check with his/her program counsellor for information.

Up to 50% of the requirements for a degree-credit certificate can be applied towards a degree program specialization in order to hold both a degree with a specialization and a specialized certificate.

1. Program and Calendar Requirements

The conditions for graduation are regulated by the degree programs. Program specific conditions for graduation are outlined in Section X--Undergraduate Degree Programs. Students must satisfy the schedule of studies requirements for the calendar ( in effect at the time of their last admission to the program or at the time of any subsequent change in majors or areas of concentration. Where students select minors or areas of emphasis, the calendar used to determine the schedule of studies is the same as the calendar used for the major. Changes in minors or areas of emphasis do not necessarily affect the calendar used to determine the schedule of studies. Students may declare a schedule of studies from an alternate calendar if program approval is obtained.

Students who are on suspension for academic misconduct will not be permitted to graduate during the period of the suspension.

2. Academic Residence Requirements

  1. At least 5.00 of the credits required for graduation by the student's program must be taken at the University of Guelph.

  2. At least 60% of the 3000 and 4000 level courses required for graduation must be taken at the University of Guelph.

University of Guelph courses include courses taken on exchange and on study abroad programs, and Open Learning program courses (degree credit weight). Letter of permission courses are not included.

3. Honours Equivalent

Students from the University of Guelph or another university may upgrade a degree from the general program to the honours program to obtain an Honours Equivalent recognition. Students may also upgrade a degree from the honours program by the completion of an additional specialization to qualify for the Honours Equivalent recognition. These students must be readmitted to an honours equivalent program. All previous University of Guelph credits are eligible for consideration toward the equivalent degree from the honours program.

To be granted an Honours Equivalent, students must satisfy the University of Guelph residence requirements. In addition, students must satisfy the conditions for graduation for the specified honours program using the calendar that is in effect at the time of admission into the honours equivalent program. Normally, all degree program regulations will apply to the Honours Equivalent specialization.

The students who are granted the Honours Equivalent designation do not participate in a convocation program, but have the designation shown on their transcript and may receive a new degree parchment upon application, subject to surrender of the original degree parchment and payment of the appropriate fee. Note, parchment replacement applies to Guelph graduates only.

4. Second Degrees

Students from the University of Guelph or from another university may graduate with a second undergraduate degree from the University of Guelph, under the following conditions:

  1. Students who have graduated with their first degree must apply to the University of Guelph for admission to the second degree program. A maximum of 10.00 credits may be transferred from the initial degree program.

  2. In-course University of Guelph students may apply to graduate with two degrees at the same convocation. A maximum of 10.00 credits may be transferred from the declared program to the undeclared program.

In a) and b), the course content of the second degree program must be substantially different from that of the first. A second degree is judged to be substantially different if:

  • The specializations are in different subject areas as listed in Section XII--Course Descriptions; or

  • The schedule of studies requirements are substantially different (no more than 25% overlap). This rule is also applicable to different subject areas within the same degree program, allowing, for example, a second B.A. or B.Sc. degree to be awarded as long as the criteria are met.

University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1