New Fall 2020 students, please note: As a precaution against COVID-19, the office is closed and ID cards are not available for pickup at this time. You can still submit your photo for your ID card online; just read the ID Card guidelines and then go to the Submit Photo webpage. We will print your card and inform you of the next steps in mid to late August.
Staff members: For information about staff ID cards, please visit the Information for Staff webpage.
Instructions for creating an acceptable digital photo for submission
The following is a set of generic instructions for creating a digital image that is a suitable photo for online submission.
- The image is not more than 1600 high x 1200 pixels wide.
- The image file size is smaller than 2 megabytes.
- The image file type is either .jpg or .jpeg.
- The ratio of the image, height divided by width, is around 1.3 (ie. 1600 / 1200 = 1.33).
The following are examples of photos that are NOT acceptable for use on your University of Guelph OR University of Guelph-Humber ID card:
|Too Blurry!||No hats or novelty headgear please!||No pictures cut out of group photos please.||Please submit a close-up of your face centered in the frame of the photo.|
- Set your camera or phone to its lowest resolution.
- An image greater than 1600 x 1200 resolution is too large to submit through this process. We have a maximum image file size of 2 megabytes.
- The photo should be taken as a standard portrait (height is greater than the width). This means that you should be able to submit a photo taken with a cell phone or digital camera held so that the picture is taller than it is wide, and with your head centered in most of the photo. See below:
The submitted photo needs to be in portrait format. The submitted photo cannot be in landscape format.
- Make sure you are centered in the frame of the image and take the picture.
- Save the photo in the .jpg (.jpeg) format, name the file according to your seven digit University of Guelph OR University of Guelph-Humber student number, e.g., if your University of Guelph OR University of Guelph-Humber student number is 0543210 the name of your photo file should be "0543210.jpg".
- You are now ready to upload your image to the University of Guelph OR University of Guelph-Humber Digital Photo Submission Page.