Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies.
As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:
- during regular academic sessions and
- full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.
To qualify, you must:
- have a valid study permit,
- be a full-time student,
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
- be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.
For more information, please visit the CIC website.