Western Unions’ GlobalPay for Students provides an efficient payment process for international students paying their student fees from outside of Canada. This option allows you to pay your student fees in the currency of your choice. Note: This is not a payment through Western Union Agent locations (except in the case of some payments from India). You will simply be paying a Western Union Bank account, and then Western Union transfers the funds to University of Guelph in Canadian dollars.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make the payment are provided just below.
Benefits of using GlobalPay for Students
- You make payment in the currency of your choice. This amount is then converted to Canadian dollars.
- The exchange rate quote is locked in for your payment for 72 hours after the quote is obtained.
- The exchange rate is very competitive when compared to your financial institution’s retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the wire transfer that you initiate is a local transfer.
- There are NO transaction charges from WU Business Solutions or University of Guelph, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
Efficient and Timely Posting
- Please include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your University of Guelph student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.
Step 1: Navigate to the Western Union GlobalPay for Students website
Step 2: Provide Student/Payer Information
- Complete the required fields on website (Student’s University of Guelph ID number, student's first and last name, email address, etc.) and select NEXT.
Step 3: Enter Payment Details
- Enter the amount you wish to pay in Canadian dollars.
- Select the payment options you wish to use and the currency would like to pay in* from drop down list.** Select NEXT.
- Complete other fields as listed then select NEXT.
- Review terms and conditions and select the checkbox, then select NEXT.
- NOTE: You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups on your computer in order to view the payment instructions.
Step 4: Bank Transfer
- Print your payment instructions and make the payment. For most countries this will be by either credit card or wire at your bank.***
- If by wire transfer instruct your bank to wire transfer funds to the Western Union bank account indicated on your payment instructions.
- The reference number on the payment instructions is very important. It MUST be included on your payment in order for the funds to be correctly and promptly applied to your student fee account. A reference number should NOT be used more than once. If you are making a second payment, or have a quote that has expired, please go through Steps 1-3 again to get new payments instructions with a new reference number.
- The payment must be sent within 72 hours of the quote or Western Union shall use the current exchange rate to convert the currency. The expiry of the quote is indicated on the bottom of the payment instructions that you have printed.
Step 5: Payment Finalized
- While the transfer is in progress your account will continue to show the outstanding amount.
- University of Guelph will post the Canadian dollar equivalent to your student account, generally two to five days after your local bank initiates payment.
* If your local currency is not an option available in the system, you will need to choose another currency on the list to arrange your payment, or contact email@example.com for more information. The subject line should read “Western Union payment issue”. Please indicate what currency you are trying to pay in, or where you are trying to pay from, and what the precise issue is.
** When paying from China or India, you will be given your rate when you process your transfer per the payment instructions.
*** For payments from India, China and South Korea, you will be instructed to pay on a particular website or bank (e.g. ICICI for India).