Policy Fellowship Questions
Here are some examples of questions that previous Fellows have asked. If you would like to discuss your policy questions, please feel free to connect with the organizing team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our organization is working proactively to identify and address vulnerabilities in the food supply chain in order to help protect consumers from food misrepresentation. From the authenticity of honey and country of origin of fruits and vegetables to species verification of fish and misrepresentation of meat and poultry, challenges in addressing food fraud are widespread across all commodities. What are the emerging scientific advancements and techniques that will help to identify, track and reduce food fraud that can be used in Canada?
- How effectively is current agricultural policy in Canada preventing biodiversity loss related to agriculture? Do gaps exist in policy/legislation for biodiversity protection related to crop cultivation and harvest that could be mitigated by improved policy coverage, and if so, what are these gaps? Are there emerging practices, new technologies or improved data collection requirements that could minimize biodiversity loss related to agriculture, and if so, which could most benefit from improved policy support?
- COVID-19 has highlighted points of strategic failure in the food production value chain. Interruptions at slaughter facilities created a cascade of events that resulted in crisis for producers and also a significant increase in the cost of food at the retail level. Protection of every member of the value chain is critical, from producer to consumer if we are to weather more of these types of events. What type of robustness needs to be entered into the food production system to protect against similar future shocks, especially for vulnerable populations?
- What are the design and financing options for crop drying and storage technologies to strengthen community food resilience planning in the face of climate change? What are the best crops (indigenous and others) suitable for this process that provide the highest nutritional value?
- As various jurisdictions across Canada move to address plastic waste through implementation of extended producer responsibility, how do we introduce sustainable packaging that is cost effective, safe for food, does not create additional food spoilage, compatible with existing production equipment, and compliant with recycling/waste programs across Canada?
Please contact us at email@example.com if you’d like additional guidance about developing good questions!