Summer Grounds Position at the University of Guelph Arboretum
The Arboretum is currently accepting applications for our 2018 Arboretum Summer Grounds Crew. This 18 week opportunity is open to University of Guelph students and recent graduates with a pay-rate $14 per hour (Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week).
Members of the Summer Grounds Crew will assist staff in all aspects of the maintenance of the grounds, gardens, woody plant collections and nursery at The Arboretum. Responsibilities include:
• Equipment operation, including mowers, wood chippers and tractors.
• Grounds maintenance duties such as irrigation, tree planting, gardening, invasive species control, trail maintenance, pruning and all other plant cultural care requirements.
• Tool maintenance, small construction projects and general labour.
Our ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
• Able to work 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday, in addition to occasional weekend shifts.
• A valid Class G Ontario driver’s license.
• Some experience with horticultural practices and equipment operation.
• The ability to lift 25kgs, and a willingness to work in adverse weather conditions.
• Legally eligible to work in Canada
Please note: there is more than one position available. One of these positions is funded through the Ontario Summer Employment Opportunities Program. For this program, the applicant must be: a resident of Ontario on first day of employment; legally eligible to work in Canada; 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on first day of employment; and a student – currently enrolled, returning in Sept 2018, on academic break, or graduated within 6 months of first day of employment.
Applications due March 13th, 2018
To Apply: send a resume with cover letter to:
Shelley Hunt, Arboretum Director: email@example.com