B.S.A., M.Sc., Ph.D. University of Saskatchewan
My general research interest is on the quantification of soil morphology at several scales of observation. At the local catchment scale we are employing high-resolution airborne remote sensing techniques: a) visible/near-infrared imaging of soil and crops are used to reveal variations in soil type, b) computerized photogrammetry of stereo-airphotos and Lidar imaging are used to generate digital elevation models, from which landform quantification is performed. At the pedon/polypedon scale, we are employing thermal imaging and non-contacting magnetic induction techniques (electrical conductivity and magnetic susceptibility) to generate, through inversion modeling, 3D soil models. At the sub-pedon scale, we are employing high-resolution digital imaging of soil thin sections, as well as X-ray micro-computed tomography (mCT), combined with pixel- and context-based image processing, to reveal the spatial configuration of soil components. We have on-going collaborations with researchers in Canada, the United States, South America, Europe, Africa and Southeast Asia.
Meet Prof. Richard Heck
Check out Richard's 60 second snapshot video here.
- Soliman, A., Heck, R.J., Brenning, A., Brown, R., Miller, S. 2013. Remote Sensing of Soil Moisture in Vineyards Using Airborne and Ground-based Thermal Inertia Data. Accepted for Publication in Remote Sensing.
- Karimi, E., Teixeira, I.F., Gomez, A., de Resende, Gissane, E.C., Leitch, J., Jollet, V., Aigner, I., Berruti, F., Briens, C., Fransham, P., Hoff, B., Schrier, N., Lago, R.M., Kycia, S.W., Heck, R. Schlaf, M. 2013. Synergistic co-processing of an acidic hardwood derived pyrolysis bio-oil with alkaline Red Mud bauxite mining waste as a sacrificial upgrading catalyst. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, online.
- De Resende, E.C., Gissane, C., Nicol, R., Heck, R.J., Guerreiro, M.C., Coelho, J.V., Alves de Oliveira, L.C., Palmisano, P., Berruti, F., Briens, C. & Schlaf, M. 2013. Synergistic co-processing of Red Mud waste from the Bayer process and a crude untreated waste stream from bio-diesel production. Green Chemistry 15: 496-510.
- Taina, I.A., Heck, R.J., Deen, W. & Ma, E.Y.T. 2013. Quantification of freeze-thaw related structure in cultivated topsoils using X-ray computer tomography. CJSS.
- Rittl, T., Cooper, M., Heck, R.J. & Ballester, M.V.R. 2013. Object-Based Method Outperforms Per-Pixel Method for Land Cover Classification in a Protected Area of the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest Region. Pedosphere 23:290-297.
- Dowuona, G.N-N., Atwere, P., Dubbin, W. Nude, P.M., Mutala, B.E., Nartey, E.M. & Heck, R.J. 2012. Characteristics of termite mounds and associated Acrisols in the Coastal Savanna zone of Ghana and impact on hydraulic conductivity. Natural Science 4: 423-437.
- Munkholm, L.J., Heck, R.J. & Deen, B. 2012 Long-term effects of rotation and tillage on visual evaluation of soil structure, soil physical properties and crop yield. Soil Tillage Research 127: 85-91.
- Taina, I.A. & Heck, R.J. 2010. Utilization of object-oriented software in the image analysis of soil thin sections. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74:1670-1681.
- Peck, R. Bailey, J.B., Heck, R.J. & Scaiff, N.T. 2009. X-ray CT scan as an aid to identification and description of a new bivalve species (mollusca) from the Mississippian Bluefield Formation, southeastern West Virginia. Journal of Paleontology 83: 953-960.
- Taina, I.A., Heck, R.J. & Elliot, T.R. 2008. Application of X-ray computed tomography to soil science: a literature review. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 88:1-20.
NSERC DG (2008 - 2013)
Certificate of Recognition, from the Ontario Innovation Trust, for “Advancing Innovative Research and Discovery through Infrastructure for Assessing Field-Scale Soil and Crop Variability and the Development of Site-Specific Management Practices”
pedology, computed tomography, structure, magnetic susceptibility