Swords, Pens, Armchairs and Sit-ins: Engaging Social Transformation from Everywhere
ENGAGE 2017 17th Annual Graduate Student Conference Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Saturday, March 25th, 2017
Call for Abstracts: We invite all graduate and upper year undergraduate students from fields of the social and applied human sciences to participate in ENGAGE, the 17th Annual Graduate Student Conference at the University of Guelph. This event celebrates the diversity and vitality of student research by encouraging students from various social science backgrounds to come together and ENGAGE with peers over critical issues and cultural debates. Our theme for this year’s conference is Community Engaged Scholarship. If you are working to develop relationships with your local, regional, national or global communities; already partnering with them for research that fosters positive social change; or, if you want to learn more about this kind of scholarship, send us your abstracts!
Due date for submissions: Monday, March 6th, 2017
The goals for ENGAGE 2017 include:
● Provide students with a collegial environment in which to present and receive feedback on both completed works and/or projects in progress
● Foster communication and engagement between scholars with diverse research interests and perspectives;
● Challenge and critically examine our understanding of the social and cultural worlds, as well as the impact our research has on the individuals and/or communities we partner with and/or study
Abstract Submissions: In fulfilling our mission to develop a supportive and inclusive environment for students to conduct and present their research, the ENGAGE conference accepts an array of topics within the social and applied human sciences. Moreover, both paper and poster proposals are welcome!
Topics of research may include, but are certainly not limited to:
● Community engaged scholarship
● Social justice and transformation
● Rural, community and development studies
● Work, gender and change in a global context
● Criminology and/or Criminal Justice
● Gender, diversity and social (in)equality
● Race, ethnicity and identity politics
● Family development, aging and the life course
Abstracts for submission must be between 150-250 words in length. Abstract Submissions will not be accepted after Tuesday, February 28th, 2017.
Awards: Four monetary awards will be presented at the ENGAGE conference this year.
● ENGAGE Department of Sociology and Anthropology Outstanding Original Research Award ($100)
● ENGAGE Department of Sociology and Anthropology Best Community Engaged Research Award ($100)
● ENGAGE Department of Sociology and Anthropology Best Poster Presentation Award ($50)
Conference Format: Paper and poster presentations will be presented throughout the day. Information regarding the theme and time of each session, as well as the length of each presentation, will be provided closer to the date of the conference.
Lunch and breakfast will be provided.
Cost and Accommodation: There is no fee to participate in this conference. Participants are responsible for all of their travel and accommodation expenses. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer to offer funding for participants’ costs. However, this year some monetary awards will be presented for best paper and poster presentation. Limited billeting is available and can be arranged on an individual basis. We are also happy to provide information about local accommodation options. Inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please register and submit your abstract here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdVrvHugtohRVHF1L2GLWzR1iH08RkT...
We look forward to seeing you at ENGAGE 2017!