Financial Resources for LGBTQ2IA+ Students
LGBTQ2IA+ individuals face numerous systemic barriers, including some that impact their access to strong financial resources to allow them to pursue higher education. The Sexual and Gender Diversity Office has prepared the following list of awards and scholarships for which LGBTQ2IA+ students at the University of Guelph may be eligible.
In addition to these awards, we encourage you to browse the Student Financial Services page to learn more about the internal scholarships, bursaries, and other funding opportunities available to you. Should you have questions about financial aid resources for LGBTQ2IA+ students, please connect with the Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor.
The Bill 7 Award Trust was established in 1987 for post-secondary education for LGBTQ2IA+ students who are pursuing their first post-secondary degree or diploma in Ontario, and who demonstrate financial need.
- 10 scholarships of $2000 - $2500 each
- The organization started primarily by queer women of colour
The LOUD Scholarship looks to invest in future LGBTQ2IA+ leaders, by supporting the development, drive, vision, compassion, and knowledge of these students.
- In 2020, awarded 20 awards, each worth $2,500 (totaling $50,000)
- For Canadian students enrolled in post-secondary, about to begin, or who finished in the last twelve months
- Available to citizens, permanent residents, conventional refugees, or refugee claimants
This is a scholarship for LGBTQI2S+ students who are the children, grandchildren, foster children, or foster grandchildren, of members or retirees of the National Union’s Component unions or its affiliates, who are planning on entering the 1st year of the Canadian public, post-secondary education institution on a full-time basis.
- Award of $2,500
- Available to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, conventional refugees, or refugee claimants
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone Number: (613) 228-9800
- Fax Number (613) 228-9801
The Lambda Foundation Scholarship in LGBT Studies is a University of Guelph-based scholarship awarded to students enrolled in a program where they are producing a thesis, research essay, independent research project, or coursework pertaining to LGBT studies, as broadly defined by the applicant. A preference will be given to those involved in the LGBT community.
- Award of $1,000, given in the winter semester
- Apply by letter to the Dean of Arts
- Requires some sort of academic product
- Dean of Arts, Samantha Brennan, firstname.lastname@example.org
The HeForShe Resilience Awards are issued by the Lang School of Business at the University of Guelph, this scholarship is meant to be for any female student in business or engineering at the University of Guelph. This is meant to highlight the success of women in STEM and business.
- 2 Resilience Scholarships of $5,000, 1 Ally Scholarship of $2,500
- Meant for any female in business or engineering, or an ally who has shown involvement and action towards gender equality
- Apply by letter, with résumé
Note: Lang Awards has confirmed that the awards are inclusive “for students self-identifying as female or as femme-aligned trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, or genderqueer”.
The Acts of Greatness LGBTQ Youth Community Award is open to LGBTQ youth 24 years old and under around the world, applicants must demonstrate community leadership, past involvement, as well as a continued interest in service to the LGBTQ community. Examples include starting a new project, community presentation, and/or volunteering with an LGBTQ organization.
- Award of $500
- International students can also apply
- Must be 24 or younger