Choose U of GImprove LifeNews
Johnston Hall during the winter

Immigration Information

Click here for information about how COVID-19 is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship, and passport services.

As an international student you require valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada. Please use the resources below as a guide to help you get started and maintain your immigration and legal documents.

If you need help navigating this information, please reach out to one of our International Student Advisors.

For more detailed information, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Study Permit

All full-degree international students are required to have a Study Permit to study in Canada.

NOTE: If your study permit is still valid, you do not need to change or apply for a new permit if you are moving between school levels (for example: high school to post-secondary). Make sure to change your DLI number within your Immigration account, which can be done online. If you wish to work while you are studying, you will need to extend your study permit.

For more information about applying for a study permit and visa, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Temporary Resident Visa

A study permit is not a visa. Citizens from certain countries require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

Canadian Port of Entry

When you arrive in Canada, you will arrive at a Port of Entry (POE) which is an entry point into Canada selected by the Government of Canada. Most often, the Port of Entry that you will come through will be the first airport or land crossing that you stop at in Canada. It is important that you are prepared for your entry into Canada. Please continue reading for a list of documents you will need to obtain and carry with you when travelling to Canada.

Accompanying Family Members

If you are bringing family members to live with you in Canada while you study, make sure they have the correct immigration documentation.

Your spouse and children will apply for the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to join you in Canada. Minor children who are accompanying you may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary, and secondary levels. Your spouse may be eligible to apply for an open work permit (SOWP) and can be employed both on- and off-campus. Immigration procedures change regularly. For the most up-to-date information, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Visiting the USA

Citizens of most countries require a visa to enter the United States. If you intend to travel to the USA, it is recommended that you apply for this visa in your country of residence. If you want to apply from Canada, you must be enrolled in school for at least six months and prove that you will be returning to school after your visit. You can prove this with a confirmation of enrolment letter from the University.

Working In Canada

Read below for information about working on- and off-campus as an international student. For more information, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or contact one of our International Student Advisors.

Income Tax

While working in Canada, you will have tax deducted from your earnings. In March, you can file your income tax with the Federal Government, and you may receive some of this deducted tax back. International Student Experience offers tax information sessions every March, and if you are on the international student email listserv, you will be notified of when and where these will happen. For more information on income tax for international students, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A SIN allows an employer to process payroll while informing the Canadian Revenue Agency of the amount of money a person earns. You apply for a SIN in person at Service Canada. To get a SIN, you will need a valid study permit that includes statements such as "may accept employment", and your passport. Service Canada officials will be present at the University of Guelph at the beginning of each semester to issue SINs on-campus. For more information about when Service Canada will be at the University, visit GryphLife. The closest Services Canada location from campus is 259 Woodlawn Road West, Suite C, Gueph.

IMPORTANT: Do not reveal your SIN. Your SIN can be used to steal your identity. Learn to protect your SIN.

Immigrating to Canada

There are specific procedures for immigrating to Canada. While International Student Experience cannot assist you in this process, we are happy to direct you to the appropriate resources.

Permanent Resident

A permanent resident is someone who has acquired permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not yet a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents have rights and privileges in Canada even though they remain citizens of their come country. For more information on immigrating to Canada visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. They have provided a specific page about the requirements and steps to apply.


For information about applying to be a Canadian citizen, you need to visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.