Studying In Canada

Revisions to Bill C-35: As of May 2013, educational institutions and their employees are prohibited from providing advice to students with regard to immigration applications such as visas or student/work permits. As a result, we cannot advise on your immigration options, complete or submit immigration forms on your behalf, or communicate with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on your behalf. The goal of this regulation is to ensure that international students receive the proper assistance with often complex immigration procedures.

There's a lot to know about immigration-related topics such as renewing or applying for a study/work permit and information for accompanying family members. The International Student Advisors, cannot assist you directly in the application processes, but they can direct you to the appropriate contacts. This information is a starting point.
It is your responsibility to be familiar with all IRCC regulations while you are in Canada. For detailed information about IRCC regulations and application procedures, consult the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website.

Study Permits

Changes have been made recently regarding the study permit that you should be aware of. Visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for these new regulations.

Study Permit Denied 

International applicants whose study permit is denied by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may be eligible for a refund of their tuition and fees.  Applicants must request a refund, drop their courses through WebAdvisor and forward a copy (PDF) of their IRCC denial letter to  This request must be received within fourteen days of the denial letter date, otherwise, a refund will be denied.  Please allow a minimum of three weeks for the refund to be processed.

Extending your Study Permit

To extend your study permit, please visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for more information about requirements and other important details.

Expired Study Permit 

If you failed to extend your study permit before it expired, you have 90 days from the expiry date within which you can restore your status. Visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for more information about requirements and other important details.

If you fail to renew your study permit within 90 days of its expiry you will have no status in Canada, and could be subject to a removal order by Canada Immigration. Please be sure to check the dates on your documents and apply for extensions within adequate time.

Under the new regulations on study permits, your permit will become invalid 90 days after you have completed your study program. Your program is considered complete when you receive written notfication of program completion (for example, a transcript of an official letter) from the university or once you obtain your degree. Visit the IRCC website for more information.