Mandatory Quarantine Program
Effective July 5, 2021, there will be some exemptions for people eligible to enter Canada, who also meet specific conditions for fully vaccinated travellers. However, all international student travelers must register for a quarantine plan regardless of vaccination status.
Effective August 9, 2021, the requirement for a 3-day government authorized stay will be eliminated for all international travelers. All international student travelers must expect to quarantine for the 14-days unless they qualify for a quarantine exemption.
Effective September 7, 2021 Canada has opened their borders for discretionary travel by travelers from any country who have been fully vaccinated with Government of Canada-accepted vaccines at least 14 days prior to entering Canada and who meet specific entry requirements.
Please check the Government of Canada's website for the most up to date information about travel exemptions and restrictions for international students. Needing a quarantine plan is only one of multiple eligibility criteria for entry to Canada.
Fully Vaccinated Travelers
All international student travellers be prepared to quarantine for 14 days, in case you are symptomatic or don't meet the exemption requirements regardless of vaccination status. A suitable quarantine plan must be entered into ArriveCAN in case you don't qualify for the exemption. You may be asked to explain your quarantine plan at the border. We recommend you register with the Study Safe Corridor who has a provision for fully vaccinated travelers to provide access to a quarantine plan as a back-up and exemption letter. Exemption letters will be personalized and include your name, contact information, and school to better assist you when arriving and going through immigration with the CBSA. The cost for an exemption letter is $100 plus HST (CAD$). You will only be charged for the quarantine booking if you ultimately need to activate it through the Study Safe Corridor.
Fall 2021/Winter 2022 Semester Arrivals
The primary Quarantine Program option for the fall 2021/winter 2022 semester is the Study Safe Corridor which is a partnership between Maritime Travel and Languages Canada. Their convenient and worry-free quarantine packages are designed for international students to have a smooth entry into Canada while providing a safe and comfortable quarantine experience.
Included in their quarantine packages:
- 14-day hotel stay upon arrival to Toronto Pearson Airport
- 3 meals per day delivered to your hotel room for the duration of your stay
- COVID-safe transportation from your 3-day IRCC hotel to your quarantine hotel
- Comprehensive 4-week guard.me health insurance plan with COVID-19 coverage
- Access to mental wellness counselling services through Keep.me SAFE by guard.me Cares
- A Canadian phone number and SIM card for your mobile device for 1 month, including 8GB of data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, and unlimited international text and picture messaging
- All necessary documentation to ensure you are fully informed of travel and arrival requirements and have a smooth entry process into Canada or into your school's province
Bookings for the Study Safe Corridor are now available!
Please note: once you have registered through the Study Safe Corridor, there is no need to submit an additional Off-Campus Quarantine Application.
Limited on-campus (residence) quarantine options may be available for the fall. Availability and rates will be confirmed at a later date.
You are welcome to quarantine off campus if you have arranged suitable accommodations. You can quarantine in any private dwelling that has access to private entrance, bathroom and kitchen facilities and will not be shared with anyone who isn't also in quarantine with you. To assess your quarantine plan, please visit the Government of Canada website. All off-campus plans must be reviewed and approved by our quarantine staff.
The Off-Campus Mandatory Quarantine Program includes:
- Preferred rates with Red Car Services to your off-campus accommodation (within 100km of Guelph).
- Regular check-ins from the University of Guelph to support your mental health, cultural integration, and well-being.
- You are responsible for arranging and paying for your accommodation, transportation, food, furnishings and essentials to remain isolated during your entire quarantine.
To submit your off-campus application for review, please use our Housing Portal.
Mandatory Quarantine Program International Bursary
The University of Guelph is committed to supporting incoming international students. As part of this commitment, we are offering a one-time bursary to assist international students who are unable to afford all or part of the costs of the provincially mandated Mandatory Quarantine program, up to $2,500.00.
The bursary is open to new and continuing international students (both undergraduate and graduate) enrolled in full-time studies at the University of Guelph during the Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 terms. To be reimbursed, students must have travelled to Canada by air on or after August 12, 2021. They must submit proof that they have enrolled in the University's Mandatory Quarantine Program, and completed the quarantine. The bursary will be applied against the student's account. The application form will be available August 23rd.
International Student Support
International Undergraduate In-Course Bursaries
Please note: the International Student Support & International Undergraduate In-Course Bursaries are not available to University of Guelph-Humber students.
Transportation Options (After Completion of Quarantine)
The transportation options listed below are for international travellers deemed exempt from quarantine from the CBSA and/or who have cleared quarantine through the Study Safe Corridor. All international travellers with an approved off-campus quarantine plan must book Red Car Services from the airport to their off-campus quarantine address.
If the border officer determines you are exempt from the quarantine requirement upon your arrival and/or once you’ve cleared quarantine, you will need to arrange your own transportation. There are many ways to get to Guelph, so we encourage you to carefully read the following options.
Public Transportation is a great way of getting to Guelph. We encourage you to plan your trip in advance and to get all the necessary directions before you arrive in Canada. We have outlined some instructions for getting to the University using various means of public transportation. Please note that accessibility, frequency, and schedules will vary depending on the time of day and may have changed due to COVID-19. Make sure to check the public transportation website for the most accurate information before you leave. You can use Google Map, Rome2rio or Triplinx to help you plan your trip from Toronto or Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) to Guelph. Note that using public transit is a cheaper option but may require more time to get to Guelph.
GO Transit offers two means of travel: the GO Bus and GO Train.
- Total Cost: Approximately $17
- Travel Time: 2.5 hours
- Take Bus 7 (Airport Terminal) towards Southbound ($4 – exact change).
- Disembark at City Centre Transit Terminal or Square One.
- Walk to Square One GO Bus Terminal.
- Purchase a ticket at a GO ticket vending machine or a customer service outlet for route Guelph/Mississauga westbound to Guelph ($12.75)
- Take the Guelph/Mississauga Bus 29 to the University of Guelph.
- Total Cost: Approximately $32
- Travel Time: 2 hours
- **Note: Trains are available in evenings during weekdays. Check the Kitchener (30-31-33) schedule in advance.
- Take the UP Express Train from Terminal 1 or 3 at Pearson Airport towards Union Station ($12.35 – you can buy ticket online or at the machines).
- Disembark from the UP Express Union Station and follow the signs for the GO Train Platform.
- Purchase a ticket at a GO ticket vending machine or a customer service outlet for route Kitchener (Westbound towards Kitchener), destination Guelph ($16.15).
- Take the GO Train towards Kitchener (Destination: Guelph).
- Disembark at Guelph Central GO Station.
- Take a City of Guelph Transit bus to University Centre in Guelph (bus 5 - Gordon, or other buses that going to the UC). Prepare $4 – exact change for Guelph Transit.
- Be sure to ask the driver if you are not sure.
For a more direct trip to the university or your final destination, you may use one of these services offered at the airport. Please be advised that these services are faster but much more expensive than using public transportation. Regardless of your method of travel, confirm your car and driver are those you requested prior to getting into a vehicle.
Red Car Service
This is the most popular option. Red Car offers a direct shuttle from the airport to Guelph. The minimum rate is $86 depending on the service selected. It is advisable to book online in advance. Visit the Red Car website for more information and to book your trip. You can use the code “UG student” to receive $15 off your first trip.
Uber is another popular option among students. While the rate from YYZ airport to Guelph varies, it is usually between $80-$110. One perk of using Uber is that you can book a car via the mobile app when you are ready to leave the airport, and it will arrive within a few minutes. You need to download the mobile Uber app and link a credit card to your account prior to booking an Uber.
Toronto Airport Taxis/Limo Services
You may also book a private taxi to Guelph from the airport. These taxis offer a flat rate between $116 and $150 depending on the company. A credit card is usually needed to book these prior to your arrival. Please note that these are private companies that may charge for additional luggage. Tipping your driver is also usually expected. If you wish to use this service, you can do an online search for "Toronto Airport Taxis". It is also possible to book a taxi at Toronto Airport, at either Terminal 1 or 3 at Arrivals Level.
For additional travel information for international students, please click here for the COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have any questions about the Mandatory Quarantine Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.