GryphLifeContact Us
Winegard Walk and Reynolds Walk intersection

Resources for Second Year Students

In every section on this page you will find resources to help you as a student at UofG. If you still have questions or need support, you can connect with us at


The University of Guelph offers supports and opportunities for students living both on-campus and off-campus.

Most upper-year students rent off-campus housing in the city of Guelph. If you haven’t yet explored living off-campus, the Off-Campus Living (OCL) Advisor is here to help you.

Off-Campus Living is happy to connect about next steps and what to consider, including rental websites and tips on how to find roommates. Email them at or book a meeting with the Off-Campus Living Advisor here.

Some students choose to commute from a nearby city or town by public transit or personal vehicle. If you’re thinking about commuting or making trips outside of Guelph you can check out the Travel and Transportation page or email for planning support. For trips within Guelph, your student card acts as a bus pass for Guelph transit. This means that you don't have to pay when you use the bus since it's already included in your tuition - just tap and go

Due to the high demand from new incoming first-year students, Student Housing is unable to guarantee housing for returning upper-year students currently. Upper year students will be placed on a waiting list. When all first-year students who have met the June 1 deadline have been assigned, residence placements will be offered to upper year students on the waiting list using a lottery system.

Overcoming Setbacks from Your First Year

Whether you're learning online or in-person, the jump from first to second year can feel overwhelming. Perhaps your first year didn't go according to plan, or maybe you're feeling nervous about what the next year will bring. These feelings are completely normal, and a key part of university is learning how to overcome setbacks. No matter how you're feeling about this transition, we are here to provide you with support and resources!

We encourage students who feel overwhelmed with school or may just need some extra support to check out some of our on-campus resources that may be beneficial to you

Health & Wellbeing

University is a learning experience - not just academically - and the University is here to support you with these transitions. U of G’s Wellness Services has many resources to support you, including during the summer, as you transition into second year and beyond:

There are also Student Experience Advisors who can assist you in getting the help you need. Appointments can be booked with the Cultural Diversity Advisor, Indigenous Student Advisor, International Student Advisors, or Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor. Book a meeting with an advisor here.

International Students

The University of Guelph offers many supports for international students. We're here to help you support you as you navigate life in Canada.


No matter where you find yourself this year – on-campus or off-campus – Gryphon Athletics remains committed to delivering innovative programs, services and experiences that promote and advance sport, physical, social and emotional health and wellness.

GryphFit App: Provides access class schedules and enables participation in club challenges. You can download the app from the Apple Store or Google Play.

Gryphon Fitness On-Demand: Provides a library of Gryphon Instructors teaching some of your favourite classes. Access is free to current U of G Students. Use your single sign-on credentials to gain access.

Intramurals: If your looking to join an intramural sport either with friends or individually.

Looking for an NRG Fitness Membership, locker rentals or equipment lending, visit

Managing Money

U of G offers resources to help you learn about everything related to finances, jobs, and how you approach money as a student. To help students plan their finances, Student Financial Services has created a Student Financial Success Guide.

Student Financial Services has a whole webpage dedicated to helping students budgetVisit their website for tips and resources about budgeting.

For help building your budget, try out the Budget Planner tool from the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada.

If something unexpected happens with finances at any time during school, reach out to  Student Financial Services for help

Students who have completed one full year of studies at U of G can apply for in-course scholarships. Browse the available awards and their application requirements using the award search tool.

Thinks to keep in mind for OSAP:

  • You need to start a new OSAP application for each funding year. (The OSAP funding year starts with the fall semester)
  • If you received OSAP in first year and do not wish to have OSAP for second year, but are a full-time student, you should complete an online Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) form through the OSAP website.
  • Check out the OSAP FAQs for more information

If you are looking for employment on campus, Experience Guelph is a great resource that allows students to search for jobs on and off campus and submit applications directly through the portal.

Part-time positions are also available through the Work Study Program for students who demonstrate financial need and are taking at least 1.5 credits. To determine your eligibility for the program, you will need to submit a Financial Need Assessment form, which will be available in mid-August. For more information on eligibility and the application process, visit the Work Study section of the Student Financial Services website.

Want to spruce up your cover letter and resume? Looking to improve your interview skills? Career Services offers free appointments with Peer Helpers and Career Advisors that can go over your cover letter and resume with you.

Planning Your Degree

Academic Advising

The University of Guelph is committed to providing every undergraduate student with high-quality academic advising to help you to achieve your academic objectives.

There are two types of academic advisors:

If you have a general question, start with the UAIC (Undergraduate Academic Information Centre). They are a first point of contact for academic questions, information, and resources.

Safety on Campus

The safety of students is a priority at the University of Guelph. The following resources help maintain a safe environment on campus:

Campus Community Police respond to all emergencies on campus and monitor video surveillance cameras, intrusion alarms, fire alarms and emergency phones. The Campus Community Police service is located in the Trent Building at 32 Trent Lane. For emergencies dial 519-840-5000. For non-emergencies dial 519-824-4120 extension 52245.

First Response Team (FRT) is a student-run, non-profit team of volunteers. They provide on campus emergency first-aid services 24 hours per day, 7 days a week during the Fall and Winter semesters. For on campus medical emergencies dial (519) 840-5000.

Safe Walk is a student-run volunteer organization that provides a safe and reliable escort from 7:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. every night apart from the break between semesters and the summer semester.

The SafeGryphon app is your personal companion during your school experience here at the University of Guelph. It has many features including a personal alarm, flashlight, notifications about university updates (ie. power outages, closures due to snowstorm), click-to-call SafeWalk to request a walk, a direct link to the University’s COVID-19 screening form, and more. Download on the App Store and Google play.

You will also notice there are several emergency poles located around campus, inside and outside of buildings. If you are ever in need of assistance, just push the button and you will be connected to our dispatcher who will contact the appropriate resource.