Student Co-Chair Selection 2018
Call for applications:
The University of Guelph United Way committee seeks a two student Co-chairs for 2018-2019
All interested graduate or undergraduate students are invited to apply!
Pre-Service Training: June 2 and 3, 2018
Period of Employment:
- One term Position: Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 Semesters
- Two term Position: Fall 2018, Winter 2019, Fall 2019 and Winter 2020
Reporting to: United Way Steering Committee Faculty and Staff Co-chairs and United Way Campaign Manager
Overview of Role:
During the Fall semester, the University community participates in an annual campus-wide campaign focused on raising funds and awareness about the ways the United Way provides services for those in need in our community. The 2017 U of G United Way campaign exceeded the goal and raised more than $650,000 for the local United Way. These funds are a part of the larger United Way Guelph Wellington Dufferin campaign that raised approximately $3.6 million, which supports over 95 different programs in our local community. Every year more than 200 students, staff and faculty volunteers make this campaign possible and the University of Guelph’s campaign is a vital part of the broader United Way Guelph Wellington Dufferin campaign.
The student co-chairs are key members of the University’s United Way Committee, which coordinates the University’s annual campaign. The student co-chairs serve two terms on a rotating basis and the successful candidate will work in partnership with the committee with the outgoing co-chair to plan, run and oversee the student campaign. This committee includes faculty and staff co-chairs, two student co-chairs, a representative from United Way Guelph Wellington Dufferin, and various committee representatives from across campus. The committee ensures that the University of Guelph United Way campaign runs smoothly, and also promotes new fundraising efforts and activities. The Student co-chairs work closely with the faculty and staff co-chair and have support from the campaign committtee. In the following year, the student will transition to the outgoing student co-chair and will support the selection process for a new incoming co-chair and assist in the transition for the new student co-chair.
This is a demanding but rewarding and fun volunteer position!
Applicants are asked to submit their resume/curriculum vitae, along with a creative piece that highlights why they care/support United Way Guelph Wellington Dufferin.
Submit a short video clip, a poster, or creative idea for the upcoming campaign. The current committee will review all applications, and successful applicants will be invited for an interview with the selection committee.
The successful candidates will receive leadership training at an intensive 2-day student leadership workshop and have the opportunity for skill building and networking across the University of Guelph and the greater Guelph Wellington Dufferin Community. In recognition of the significant contributions the student co-chairs play in the University of Guelph United Way Campaign, a $250 dollar per semester honorarium is provided.
- Undergraduate or Graduate student at the University of Guelph able to commit to a 2 or 4 semester term.
- Experience and history of volunteer involvement on campus or in Guelph community an asset
- Possess some knowledge and understanding of the United Way and the University of Guelph United Way Campaign
- Previous involvement and interest in past University United Way campaigns an asset
- Strong communication, presentation and organizational skills
- Past experience organizing, planning, running campaigns an asset (especially fundraising campaigns)
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Able to commit up to 15hrs week over the course of the fall semester and up to 10 hrs week over the winter semester
- Attend bi-weekly steering committee and Student Co-chair meetings in the fall semesters and monthly meetings in the winter semesters
- Work with the United Way Co-Chairs to oversee the selection process for the next student co-chair
- Available to attend leadership training and begin planning in summer 2018 (either in-person in Guelph or easily available through email/skype when needed)
- Partner with student groups on campus to build awareness about the United Way, potentially collaborate on United Way events, and to develop and deliver United Way presentations.
Timeline for submission and selection process:
Applications will be accepted up to March 23rd and should be addressed to Stephanie Smith at email@example.com
Potential candidates will be notified by the end of March and will be invited to an interview the first week of April.