SCHOLARSHIP OF TEACHING AND LEARNING FUND
Call for Proposals
Submission Deadline: April 22, 2019
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) outlines the processes that we engage in when “asking and answering questions about students’ learning in ways that can improve one’s own classroom and also advance the larger profession of teaching” (Huber and Hutchings, 2005, p.1). The objectives of the SoTL Fund are to provide financial support for a project that aims to improve student learning and the practice of teaching by:
- Conducting a scholarly examination into a meaningful question about student learning and associated teaching activities;
- Gathering and analyzing evidence on factors that affect the teaching - learning experience;
- Disseminating the findings publicly for peer-reviewed bodies of knowledge (disciplinary and non-disciplinary).
The offices of Teaching and Learning and the Associate Vice President (Academic) invite full-time faculty, staff and academic librarians to apply to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Fund. Unlike the Learning Enhancement Fund (LEF), which focuses on curricular innovation and renewal, the SoTL Fund is intended to encourage and support inquiry related to teaching and learning at the University of Guelph (rather than curricular design and development). Detailed information is available at “What is SoTL?” and “Conducting SoTL.”
The SoTL fund is currently $12,000 for 2019, and applications to the fund should outline how the requested amount will support the proposed SoTL project. Awarded funds can be used in a variety of ways including, but not limited to, supporting costs associated with the research project and its dissemination. The award recipient/s will have access to collaborative working space in Open Learning and Educational Support and be presented with an institutional award at the Teaching and Learning Innovations Conference (TLI).
- Proposals are welcome from full-time individual faculty, staff and academic librarians at the University of Guelph. Proposals must be endorsed by the department Chair/School Director and Dean of the academic unit(s) involved or University Librarian in the case of applications from librarians. Proposals will not be considered without this approval.
- Completed submissions are to be no longer than 3 pages in TOTAL and must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on April 22, 2019 to the Associate Vice President (Academic) (AVPA) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions after that deadline will not be considered.
- Proposals will be vetted and ranked by a committee led by the AVPA (or designate). Members of the committee will include the Executive Director, Open Learning and Educational Support (or designate), last year’s award recipient, and 2 faculty members selected on the basis of their past experience and commitment to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- The successful applicant is expected to complete the proposed research and disseminate findings at a presentation to educators at the University of Guelph, in a peer reviewed journal for formal publication and/or at a relevant conference e.g. Teaching and Learning Innovations Conference etc.