Published by Communications and Public Affairs (519) 824-4120, Ext. 56982 or 53338
April 02, 2003
U of G to host philosophy conference
The University of Guelph's department of philosophy is hosting a symposium by the Ontario Hegel Organization on "Hegel and Contingency" April 11 to 13 at the Macdonald Stewart Art Centre.
The three-day event will feature more than 15 speakers from Canadian and international universities shedding light on the German idealist philosopher's work. Scholars from four universities will also participate in a panel discussion on "Contingency in Pre-Hegelian Philosophy."
• "Systematic Contingency," John Burbidge, Trent University.
• Text study on Hegel's Science of Logic, Jay Lampert, University of Guelph.
• "Logical and Esthetic Zufalligkeit," Bernard Freydberg, Slippery Rock University.
• "Contingency in Hegel's Political Philosophy," Bruce Gilbert, Bishop's University.
• "The Fiery Crucible, Yorick's Skull and Leprosy in the Sky: Hegel and Natural Contingency," Jeffrey Reid, University of Ottawa.
For more information, contact Lampert at (519) 824-4120, Ext. 53220, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For media questions, contact Communications and Public Affairs: Lori Bona Hunt (519) 824-4120, Ext. 53338, or Rachelle Cooper, (519) 824-4120, Ext. 56982.