Published by Communications and Public Affairs (519) 824-4120, Ext. 56982 or 53338
June 14, 2005
Alumni Weekend Celebrates U of G's Past, Present, Future
The University of Guelph’s 2005 Alumni Weekend expects to attract more than 1,500 alumni and guests to campus June 24 to 26 to be reunited with old friends and to enjoy a variety of planned activities and events.
The theme of the weekend, “Looking Back, Moving Forward,” honours U of G’s 41-year tradition of excellence and celebrates its momentum as one of Canada’s leading institutions of learning and research.
In addition to classic Alumni Weekend events — including 30 class reunions, campus tours and the President’s Luncheon — this year’s participants can attend a Perimeter Institute Talk June 24 at 7 p.m. at Rozanski Hall or the OAC '33 book launch June 25 at 10:30 a.m. They can also take tours of the President’s House June 25 between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m.
• Learn about the stars and enjoy the night sky in the physics observatory June 24, starting with a discussion at 9 p.m. in MacNaughton 113. A look at the stars through U of G’s new telescope and camera will be available for the first time starting at 10 p.m., weather-permitting. Participants will be required to climb three flights of stairs for the observatory viewing.
• The President’s Luncheon, which includes a golden anniversary celebration for the graduating class of 1955 and presentation of the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) Awards of Excellence, will be held June 25 at 11:30 a.m. in the Gryphon Dome.
• View and tour the Hagen Aqualab, a state-of-the-art fresh and saltwater facility where experimental research using a wide variety of aquatic species is conducted, June 25 at 2:30 p.m.
• See the results of Phase 1 of U of G’s new science complex and tour its open-concept labs and rooftop greenhouses, as well as get a preview of Phase 2, June 25 from 3 to 5 p.m.
• The Alumni Dinner June 25 at 6 p.m. at the Bullring will give special recognition to the 25th-anniversary class, the graduates of 1980.
• The Alumni Pub at the Brass Taps brings together Gryphons for a night of dancing and fun June 25 at 9 p.m.
For media questions, contact Communications and Public Affairs: Lori Bona Hunt (519) 824-4120, Ext. 53338, or Rebecca Kendall, Ext. 56982.