Required to Withdraw

You will be required to withdraw if your academic performance does not meet the University of Guelph's Continuation of Study Regulations. Also, you may be required to withdraw if found guilty of academic misconduct. Each of these has University Policies which outline the regulations and procedures. Please refer to the Undergraduate Calendar for more detailed information and policies.

Academic Performance

If you do not meet the continuation of study conditions for Eligible to Continue or Academic Probation, you will be required to withdraw. The Required to Withdraw decision is based on three pieces of information: cumulative average, semester average, and the number of credits you have attempted. The Undergraduate Calendar outlines the criteria for Schedule 1 and 2, but generally, it is Schedule 1 you will follow as this includes students entering from high school. Schedule 2 is for transfer students. The tables in the Undergraduate Calendar outline the semester and cumulative average requirements for Eligible to Continue; Probation; and Required to Withdraw: Schedule 1 or Schedule 2. Cumulative average includes all grades of all course credits regardless of whether you have re-taken a course. (Both grades will be used in the cumulative average calculation.) If you are having difficulty understanding how to read the tables, please speak with your Program Counsellor.

If you have been Required to Withdraw, you will be notified in writing by the Office of Registrarial Services. The Required to Withdraw Regulation is enforced at the end of the Winter and Summer semesters. Students who have a status of Required to Withdraw at the end of the Fall semester will be placed on Probation II for the Winter semester. This is communicated to you by email.

If you have been granted a deferred privilege you will not receive a Required to Withdraw notice until after your status has been calculated including your final grades from all courses including those in which you had deferred privileges.

What does "Required to Withdraw" mean?

If you have been required to withdraw for academic reasons, you are unable to register as a degree student for a minimum of a two-semester rustication period. You will be withdrawn from any pre-registered courses. You may register for Distance Education courses through Open Learning. You can discuss this opportunity with the Open Learning Program Counsellor, or your degree Program Counsellor.

At the end of the two-semester rustication period, you may apply for readmission to a degree program however, it is important to note readmission is not automatic. You will want to understand the readmission process – investigate it early so that you are able to address any specific admission criteria at the time of your readmission application.

Academic Misconduct

Being required to withdraw or suspended is one of the penalties possible when you are found guilty of academic misconduct. Your suspension is specified as a particular period of time as outlined in the Undergraduate Calendar. The Dean responsible for the case will determine the suspension length and date of effect. For more information please refer to the Academic Misconduct Policy.


If you feel that your academic performance was negatively affected by medical, psychological and/or compassionate circumstances, you are able to request academic consideration. There are a few options of what you may request. Speak to your Program Counsellor about your particular situation to determine what options are appropriate for you. You are not permitted to attend classes unless the appeal has been granted. Approval of the request is not guaranteed. 

If you have been penalized with required to withdraw/suspension for academic misconduct, you may appeal to the Senate Committee on Student Petitions for reconsideration of the verdict or the length of your suspension.