University of Guelph 2003-2004 Undergraduate Calendar

VIII--Undergraduate Degree Regulations and Procedures


This section provides a summary of rules and regulations with respect to various types of withdrawal from the University. In some instances other sections of the calendar are referenced and these also should be consulted to ensure that a full understanding of the regulations is obtained. There are two types of withdrawals: voluntary or required.

Voluntary Withdrawal

Students who complete the procedure for registration by mail and who subsequently decide not to attend that semester may cancel their registration by notifying Student Financial Services up to but not including the first class day. Student Financial Services will arrange for the appropriate refund of fees paid. Commencing with the first day of regular classes the formal withdrawal procedure from the University is required and outlined below.

A student intending to withdraw from the University must notify Undergraduate Program Services, Office of Registrarial Services in writing and complete the Notice of Withdrawal procedure. Students contemplating withdrawal are urged to meet with their program counsellor to discuss the implications of withdrawal. A student receiving financial assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Program is strongly advised also to contact Student Financial Services regarding the status of that award upon withdrawal.

The timing of the withdrawal and the reasons for it may have academic and financial implications. Up to the 40th class day, a student may withdraw without academic penalty. However, unless the withdrawal is for illness or compassionate grounds, students will be liable for fees payable in accordance with the refund schedule (see Section VI-Schedule of Fees regarding Refunds). Students seeking a refund on grounds of illness or compassionate circumstance must provide documented evidence related to the grounds to Undergraduate Program Services, Office of Registrarial Services, within thirty days of the withdrawal.

Do not put a stop payment on any cheque that has been presented to Student Financial Services as settlement for tuition fees. This does not constitute notification of your intention to cancel/withdraw from the semester and results in the assessment of a cheque refusal fee (refer to Section VI--Schedule of Fees).

A student who withdraws from the University after the fortieth class day of the semester, other than for illness or compassionate reasons will be considered to have failed the courses for which the student is registered at the time of withdrawal. Students seeking academic consideration on grounds of illness or compassionate circumstance must appeal to the Academic Review Subcommittee for their program (see Academic Consideration in this chapter). Depending on the timing and circumstances students may be able to obtain a fee refund after the fortieth class day. Students should consult with Undergraduate Program Services or their program counsellor.

A student who withdraws from the University must return all outstanding loans from the Library immediately upon withdrawal regardless of the original due date. Any items not returned will be declared "lost" and charged to the student's account.

Students who do not register in a program of study for six or more consecutive semesters are required to apply for readmission. Students who are studying on exchange programs, study abroad, or work terms are considered to be registered at the University (see Time Limitations in this chapter).

Required to Withdraw

Students may be required to withdraw for reasons of academic performance or academic misconduct.

A student whose cumulative or semester average is below the level for probationary status at the end of the fall semester has two options:

Readmission (refer also to the section on Readmission, earlier in Chapter VIII)

Students who meet one of the following 3 criteria must apply to Admission Services for readmission:

Readmission to a program at the University of Guelph is not automatic. Students should consult Section IV-Admission information regarding appropriate admission requirements and deadline dates. Applicants for readmission should include a statement which outlines the basis for readmission. Criteria used for readmission may differ by academic program. Students considering readmission should consult with the appropriate program counselor regarding procedures and criteria for readmission to that program.

Students who withdraw without academic penalty after the termination of the official drop period for medical or psychological reasons must clear their re-entry in a subsequent semester through the dean of the college concerned. Students who withdraw on more than two occasions may be required to meet with the dean in order to clear their re-entry into a subsequent semester. At the discretion of the dean, the condition of re-entry may be a recommendation of either Student Health Services or the Counseling Unit of the Counseling and Student Resource Centre that re-entry is advisable. Students who wish to appeal the decision of the dean have recourse to the Senate Committee on Student Petitions.

A student who wishes to be considered for readmission following a suspension for academic misconduct must make an application that will be judged on the basis of eligibility to continue. A student who is suspended for academic misconduct and also fails to meet the continuation of study requirements will normally be required to serve the associated penalties consecutively.

A student who has been expelled from the University for academic misconduct is not eligible for readmission to the University for at least five years. A student who wishes to be considered for readmission must petition the President to have the expulsion status removed (please refer to the Academic Misconduct Policy for detailed procedures).

Granting of Credit while on Rustication

Senate's Policy on granting of credit for work done while on rustication is outlined below. It applies to any university credit course taken during the rustication period, be it distance or on-campus, taken in open learning programs from either this university or another university.

Note: when searching for a course code replace the " * " with a blank

Admission inquiries: Admission Services ~ ~ ~ General calendar inquiries: Undergraduate Program Services ~ ~ ~ Last revision: 14 May 2003

2003 Office of Registrarial Services, University of Guelph