Auto door and ramp access to main entrance off Winegard Walk
P24 north of College Ave; P44 off Winegard Walk
Accessible unisex washroom on first floor, to the right of main entrance
George Creelman (1869-1929) graduated in 1885 with one of the first degrees bestowed by the Ontario Agricultural College. He continued his education, receiving his Master's degree at Mississippi Agricultural College. During Creelman's tenure as President of the Ontario Agricultural College from 1904-1920, he oversaw the construction of both Mills Hall and the dining hall that now bears his name.
Creelman was a progressive leader, focused on both science and extension, and ushered in a new era of specialization and research that reflected rural Ontario's needs. He also championed the growth of the Ontario Women's Institutes. Today, Creelman Hall is a marche-style dining concept; the first of its kind at a North American university.
The Creelman Marketplace looks like a classic 1930's warehouse with a bright, bustling ambience. In this open-market concept you will find a variety of specialized shops, and exhibition cooking including Casa Domenico (pizza and pasta), Mom's Home Cooking and Nature's Best (vegetarian shop), and a Harvey's, serving Swiss Chalet. Creelman Marketplace is only a three minute walk from North Campus residences.
The hall has over 200 seats for students to dine and study with several outlets along the walls of the space.
George Creelman 1869-1929
President, Ontario Agricultural College and Experimental Farm, 1904-1920
George Creelman was born in Collingwood, Ontario. He entered OAC in 1885 and graduated with one of the first degrees bestowed by the college. Creelman completed a Master’s degree at Mississippi Agricultural College, returning to Guelph in 1892 to marry James Mill’s eldest daughter. After continuing his studies at Wisconsin and Cornell, Creelman returned to Ontario where he became a popular and progressive civil servant, holding many posts in the agriculture department. In 1904 he became the president of OAC.
Creelman was committed to both science and extension. He oversaw the reorganization of the College staff and curriculum and ushered in a new era of specialization and research that more accurately reflected rural Ontario’s needs. Creelman championed the growth and work of the Ontario Women=s Institutes, where continuing education for Canadian women originated. He vocally supported the launch of provincial agricultural representatives to provide support for farmers because it served to disseminate the practical research findings of College staff, provided work for OAC graduates and promoted the educational opportunities available at the College directly in the farm community. Creelman also expanded the reputation of the College beyond Canada’s borders by encouraging students and faculty to participate in international agricultural competitions and academic exchanges.
Student enrolments, extension and research increased during Creelman=s tenure, followed by a wave of construction, including a new men=s residence and the dining hall that bears his name.
Creelman Hall 1914
The plaque is located inside the front right door.