William Henry Day (1870-1938) joined OAC in 1903 and was Head of the Physics Department from 1906 to 1919. One’s of Day’s initial projects focused on lightning rods; he found that for every $1000 of lightning damage, rods could save $999, which was a finding of great importance to the farming community. Day later became heavily involved in initiatives relating to farm drainage; in fact, he was so convinced of its merits that he convinced municipalities surrounding the Holland Marsh, north of Toronto, to a drainage scheme, resulting in today’s rich agricultural area. Day also played an important role in the First World War, as commanding officer of 256 men who had enrolled in the Canadian Officers Training Corps on campus.
Built in 1895, Day Hall was originally used for Animal Husbandry, later as a Physics Annex and now houses Open Learning and Educational Support.