Constructed in 1882 as the official residence of the Bursar and now used as offices for Hospitality Services, Drew Hall is named for the University of Guelph’s first Chancellor, George Alexander Drew (1894-1973). Drew was born in Guelph and graduated from the University of Toronto. After serving with distinction in the First World War, he studied law at Osgoode Hall and was called to the bar in 1920.
Drew’s career was focused on politics; he served as mayor of the City of Guelph and went on to become the Ontario Conservative Party leader, Premier of Ontario and Minister of Education and leader of the federal Progressive Conservative Party. Chancellor Drew officially installed the first President of the University of Guelph, John MacLachlan, on May 21, 1965.